Meeting Mum (2)

Part 2

We pulled into the drive of Mark's mother's house at about 2pm after our huge journey from the airport. The flight from LA to Cincinnati took over 4 hours and the drive from the airport took 2 in the traffic, so Mark and I were exhausted as we lugged our suitcases out of the rental car.

"OK, got your bags?" I nodded to Mark and he slammed to car boot down, "Let's go!" Mark held my hand and walked me to the front door where he knocked 4 times. There was a second of silence before we heard a stampede of footsteps from behind the door. Suddenly, it flung open and the hoard of nieces and nephews pounced on Mark, hugging and climbing over him.

"MARK'S HERE!" The eldest of them shouted into the house before joining the group hug.

"Hi guys!" I heard Marks muffled voice from the centre of  the ball of screaming children surrounding him, "This is my girlfriend, Y/N." His arm poked out of the ball and almost instantly the group went silent and stared at me.

"Hi." I said, slightly scared. They blinked at me for a second before jumping back into a chorus of chirping 'hellos'. They poured off Mark and began to surround me too. They shook my hands and hugged me and introduced themselves all at once and only a few names managed to reach me through the loud excitement. There were so many of them and they were all talking at once. The smallest clung onto my feet an giggled uncontrollably, while the older chatted to me confidently and pulled at my coat. I was finding it hard to breath, at the centre of their huddle.

"Guy's can you give her some space?" Mark sensed I was getting overwhelmed, "Guys!" They ignored Mark and continued to run around me until another voice called from the door way. It wasn't a loud voice, certainly quieter than Marks, but when the children heard it they immediately obeyed. 

"Go back inside." Said Mark's mother as she stepped through the door.

"Mom!" Mark smiled and hugged his mother. I took a few breathes, relieved to be able to breathe and hear again before stepping towards Mark and him mum. "This is my girlfriend, Y/N." I smiled at his mother and glanced at Mark's nervous face behind her.

"Hello." I said. She looked me up and down before smiling at me suddenly.

"It is so lovely to meet you!" She said before opening her arms and hugging me. I was shocked at first but hugged back as Mark stared on amazed. He mouthed 'what?!' to me and I gave him a similarly confused look back. When Mark's mother released me, she held her hands on my shoulders and smiled again before silently going back in the house.

Mark and I stood quietly for a few seconds and stared after her.

"Well, that's new." Mark turned to me and smiled.

"I guess she likes me?"

"Either that or she's drunk. Win win I guess!" We laughed and went into the house. So far everything was going OK. Strange but OK.