The Man In The Moon

"I'm not a praying man... I pray when I can and lately I haven't been praying as much as I should be.. I'm sorry.. God I don't know how much longer I can make it. I don't feel well.. My heart hurts to the point where it makes it hard to breath.. She is back again and I thought you would send her away.. How much more praying and believing can I do before you cast her away?.. My brother's a good man I know he is deep down he didn't ask for her he didn't want her. He just got caught into it. Like a fly falling into a spider's web. I know he is a good man.. I know he is.. He is scared I can tell.. Katie is the only thing that keeps him sane. I try very hard to be there for him but we are getting to the point where we are fading away. I love my brother I would do anything for him and you might know that by now for the things I confessed to you long ago.."

Dan sat by a bush in the forest he was by himself it was just breaking dawn Vega was sleeping in the water she got a fever late last night so Shay and Brett are watching over her. Dan leaned his forehead against a black Bible and tears stained his cheeks.

"We didn't ask for our demons, we don't ask for sickness, we sure as hell didn't ask for this. I don't know if this is test or if I'm passing it or not.. And I'm trying hard not to lose my faith.. If I lose my faith what else will I have? I won't have anything.. I lost my faith in my brother.. I have lost my faith in Guthrie, Brett, Tigeress, Thomas, Katie, Ellfie, and Hunter.. even Vega at this point in time.. I have lost it all sir and I don't want to lose mine in you.. Please God don't let me lose it in you too. I just can't... Please just show me a sign that you're at least watching over us please.. That's all I ask.. Just please something to tell me that my life isn't all for nothing. I'm feeling like it is.. I don't want to die a non believer and I don't want to die saying you didn't keep me going all these years because you did. You are the only one who was there for me. Especially after what Millie did to Aly.. and Samantha you gave me the strength then... I need you to do it again.. A little bit would go a long way with me you know that. I know you help the ones that help themselves but I got no more strength and you know I only pray when I have no where else to turn. I have seen things in my life that no one should be seeing. I have done things I'm not so proud of. That I know you are not so proud of... And I'm sorry for that.. But he is my brother and he needed my help.. You can send me to hell and I would walk it with my head held high for my brother. I know it might be wrong of me to do so.. But you gotta see why I do it every single time... I don't do it because I want to.. I have too. It has always been just me and my brother and I never asked for anything more or less. But I need to ask you for something more... I need some strength.. PLEASE!! Please.. I just need a little bit.. Just a tiny bit will get me a long way. A very long way... That's all I ask for.. You know I don't ask for anything unless I'm getting close to giving up.. I am asking for help because I don't want to die.. I'm not ready..." he stood up and he wiped away his tears and his grip around his Bible became greater and he looked up at me with a smile. He seemed surprised to see me standing there. "I'm not ready to die yet Hunter but I was this morning. Sometimes a little praying is all it takes to be a different man."

"Do you feel like dying now?" I asked.

"No.. I got my strength back."

"And what if you didn't?"

"I would be sitting here still praying..."

"Vega needs you, you know?"

"She doesn't need me Hunter.. No one needs me here.. You all would be ok if I died tomorrow..."

"Dan without you we would have all died a long time ago. And Vega she would have died just hours after Guthrie did.. You do a lot more for us then you realize." I grabbed him by his tee shirt and I pushed him up against the tree. "So don't ever think about just giving up because boy you are the only one that is making me keep my faith, my strength, my saneness. So Dan please don't lose because I need you. Out of everyone here I need you.. Promise me you won't give up on yourself, us, or God... Promise me boy!! Please just promise me."