A Promise Worth Keeping

I pushed the 'casket' into the water and I sat in the sand with Daniel sitting in my arms he cried and I felt his pain. "I know... But I need you to say it with me now... I kind of need you right now alright? So settle down and let's say goodbye together." I picked up his little hand and we waved to his mother together. "We will miss you... I'll make sure he will never forget you.. I'll make sure h- he will have everything he needs... We love you." I said my words quietly each time I spoke I broke. I could feel my own heart breaking which was not a pleasant sound. I could feel my blood boil I felt mad at the world, Dan, the baby, and Vega. Every time I get attached to someone they always seem to go away. I don't know if I can deal without needing to go back to a state where I was blacking out. "Daniel please shush. You have been crying for hours now please.. PLEASE!! I'm begging you to shut up. I stopped crying you need too. So please. What do you need?" I held the baby out in front of me and he blinked as he looked at me and he cried louder. "I swear to fucking God... SHUT UP!!! It's sad I know I get it and you're a baby but you have already been here for a day and a half and you're driving me insane. I can't help you if you don't show me what you need."

"Do you need help?" Katie asked and I looked up at her. Shay stood next to her smiling, he looked over her shoulder waving at the baby.

"No. I got this."

"You look like you need help."

"Why do you say that?"

"You are screaming at the baby."

"Can I hold him?" Shay asked.

"Fuck no." I told him as I stood up.

"But Vega."

"Vega is dead whatever she told you, you can shove it up your ass. You burned half of my face off you think I'm going to trust you with a baby? You're are out of your mind.

"You're insane too."

"Yeah and the worst thing I did was hit Katie you tried to kill me."

"Technically you had every intention to kill Katie hence the hands around her neck."

"If you want this baby then you are going to have to kill me but till you have the actual balls to do that then this baby stays in my hands and my hands only."

"You let Brett hold him."

"Hunter." Katie said.

"Brett is my friend the only one I trust with this baby. It's amazing to think I trust a guy that hasn't been around in months more than the people who are functional. Shay you can go to hell."

"I'm his uncle." Shay said.

"You ain't a Goddamn thing to this baby."

"Why? Because you said so?"

"Yeah also your brother and Vega gave me the parental role. So since I'm the guardian I get to say who is who and who is nothing other than an asshole."

"Hunter!" Katie yelled. "Shay please. Everyone just... Can we just get along? Shay you said you would try to get along with everyone."

"I-"

"Shay no.. Listen if you want to be in Daniel's life then show improvement."

"Hunter, what can I do to make it better?" he asked and I laughed.

"You got the left side of my face? Maybe Vega, or your brother and maybe a time machine? If you don't have anything of that then you can not make anything better." I pushed past them and I walked closer to the ocean and I sat down. I sat Daniel in between my legs and I watched his reaction to being in the water for the very first time. Well the very first time he is in water alive anyways. His eyes widen and he cried some more. He could cry all he wants to I wasn't picking him and I wasn't going to try to reason with him to stop crying.