Impact

My eyes darken and I was alone once again tonight I could see flames engulf me like if it was hell... It might possibly be hell. I was terrified as the smells of burning flesh became vibrant. I stood up from the sand and I looked left and right flames circled me and I backed up as it sparked. "Jesus Christ." I muttered.

"No dumbass it's just Ellfie."

I looked up at the old man as he walked through the flames. "Ellfie?"

"Yeah." I wanted to hug him but he couldn't stand still long enough for me too. He walked in circles running his hand through the flames. "It tickles."

"What is happening to me?" I asked as I realized just how wrong all of this seems to me. Why? Or how is it possible?

"That's not of import."

"I think it is."

"You have to find what is happening to you by yourself Hunter."

"I'm going crazy ain't I?"

"You alone can stop it."

"Stop what?"

"Not what. Who."

"Who then?"

"The answers lies within you."

"And if it doesn't?"

"Then I'll see you on the other side."

"Ellfie."

"Hunter you musten get mad at Shay."

"Why not?"

"He is just as mad as Brett is."

"No he isn't."

"You don't see him when he goes away from the group. He has been struggling with crazy for a long time now. I noticed it long before I died. Brett was not the one to break first it was Shay."

"He seems functional."

"There are different forms of crazy. There is Brett's kind of crazy where you can't handle the world around you so you shut yourself out from it. Then you have Shay's where everything is out to get you. Everyone is an enemy when really you're just battling yourself and yourself only. When he sees you Hunter he sees himself..." I touched the side of my face as it burned and I looked down at my hand which was now covered in blood. "Just don't be too hard on him he is trying. He feels enough guilt for what he has done."

"What has he done?"

"I have a feeling he will come clean when he is ready."

"Well I need to know if we are in any danger."

"You are always going to be in danger Hunter. But the group as a whole getting hurt by Shay is very unlikely... You need to wake up and tell him everything is going to be alright like what Katie did with you. No matter how bad he doesn't want to hear the words you must make him listen. You makes allies in the hardest of places."

"Ellfie this doesn't sound like something you would say."

"What can I say death changes you dumbass. Just do what I tell you to do... Knock them dead Hunt." he picked up one of the burning logs from the fire that surrounded us and he slammed it across my head.

I woke to orange crisp light. My skin burned and smelt like I have been through a kitchen oven. "You need to calm down Brett." Katie's voice told him and I looked up to see Brett sitting in the sand his knuckles wore bloody as he looked up at her Shay lied in the sand unmoving.

I pulled at the log that was still attached to my cheek and I held my breath as it felt like everything just came with it. I looked down at the log covered with my skin blood dripped silently from it. I felt sick.