How Can You Look At Me

I woke up to bright sunlight making my head start pounding instantly. I groaned as I leaned up and I looked at Vega who sat where she has sat for the past week. She sat leaning up against Dan's old suitcase I try cheering her up but I had gotten her pretty down in the dumps. I believe she needed to hear those words Dan wanted to utter for so long but I don't think she was ready for them. She had no one to help her through Dan's passing she has been alone for so long now. She has watch her stomach grow by herself and she enjoys the kicks and the growing by herself. She has to go through the joy of just living another day without a companion to share it with. No matter how fine she says she is about Dan passing she does not mean a word of it. She is drowning in sorrow she feels it deep within it's eating at her like there's no tomorrow. She has never been so afraid and I never have been more afraid for her.

I watched her as she wiped her eyes and smelt an unlit cigar. I wasn't sure if I should ask her why she was doing such a thing but instead I just sat next to her and I listened to her sob I put my arm around her and she gave me a laugh as she wiped her eyes. She tries to be so strong. "You must think I'm stupid." she said as she folded a black tee shirt that lied on her lap.

"I would never think such a thing..."

"Dan's clothing stopped smelling like Dan and I don't know what to do about that... He is just disappearing and I can't get him to stay... I can't even light a cigar to get the smell back... The cigars are close to his perfume but not quite... Hunter what am I going to do?" she turned to me quickly wiping her eyes. "What if the baby looks like Dan?"

"Then it does. You'll love it just the same."

"I know I will but it will make me cry every time I see it."

"As long as the baby is here Dan will never truly be dead and as soon as the baby is ok with normal food light one of these bad boys and just smell." I smiled weakly at her as I handed her back her cigar and she looked at it and smelt it.

"I miss him..."

"I know you do... I miss him too. He was a good man."

She sniffled as she leaned her head against my shoulder "I'll meet you downtown Paris. I'll be the boy with the killer shades, jet black tee shirt, and that open jean jacket that you say just drives you insane. I'll meet you by that one place I can't quite pronoun." she sang softly.

"Oh the hotel?" I laughed.

"Yeah you know the one. It's been too long since we seen each other and I don't know if it's all the french wine I drank before you came or the way your red lips look that just drives me insane. But whatever happens tonight I can't be held reliable because you keep pouring me drinks I'm gonna become a little unreliable."

"For whatever happens tonight I can't be held reliable. For every song we sing for every glass we break just put it on my tab. If the credit card comes back waived I'll guess I'll just slam the door in his face."

"So meet me downtown Paris honey in that pink dress with the funny looking hat that just makes no sense. I'll supply the wine you just make sure you get here alright. If you're still drunk from last night I'll be the boy with the killer shades, jet black tee shirt, and that open jean jacket that you say just drives you insane.. And no worries I changed."

"I'll meet you downtown Paris in that place I can't pronoun. You pour the glasses and you keep em coming but if the credit card comes back waived I'll just slam the door in his face something about your red lips makes me, makes me wanna kiss you but since you keep pouring glasses whatever happens tonight I can't be held reliable because I'll become unreliable. So honey for every song we sing and for every glass we break I want us to have this moment that my money can't buy. I want it to just be you and I.."