Chapter 38

Castle pov...

We get a call about a murder so Kate and I head over to the apartment. The victim is 20-year old Ted Rollins who was shot but signs show that he was moved after death. Lanie makes the time of death 8pm-11pm but the call to 911 was placed at 11:50pm which means that Ted couldn't have made the call.

Kate and I talk to his father and little brother who spoke to him only the day before. We found out that Ted wasn't allowed to have electronic devices due to a court order after he had stolen 4 million dollars from the rich to give to the poor, he was forced to give the money back and wasn't allowed to have electronic devices that connected him to the internet as part of a plea. They have no idea why he would have a laptop with heavy locking.

It gave us an idea for motive if he went back to causing trouble and he went after the wrong person. But if people get pissed off about getting their identities stolen they normally report it to the police.

We talk Ted's laptop to Tory who can't get through the laptops protect as it's like Fort Knox on steroids. But she does find that he connected to a private network at a company called Universal Banking Solutions which is run by Anderson Cross.

Kate and I head over to the company and talk to the receptionist who tries to get a hold of Cross. My phone goes off and I answer it to a guy saying "Richard, something is about to happen but you cannot react"

I say "I'm sorry, who is this?"

He says "Lives are at stake. Don't react" then hangs up the phone. I think that was weird and then hear the receptionist says "there is Cross now"
I look up and see my dad and he shakes his head. Kate introduces us and we go into his office to talk. We don't get much information and then we leave. I follow Kate and and signal for him to call me.

We head back to the prescient and share the information we get. Kate says that Cross looked familiar but can't place him.
My phone goes off so I walk away to answer it and talk to my dad who gives an address to meet up at in half an hour. I walk back to the others and Kate "asks is everything alright?"
I nod and say "it's just a meeting about my books I have to go to soon"

I head out to meet my dad and head in the apartment. I see the photos of Kate, Alexis, Cosmo, Johanna, Martha and even a copy of the latest ultrasound. He sees me looking at them and says "I never stopped keeping watch over you"
I ask "what do you have to do with the murder?"
He says "he worked for me at one point"
We talk about the case and he talks about watching over the family before I leave and go back to the prescient.

We figure out that Ted was killed at Coney Island because of his stomach contents so we went and found the spot where the murder took place.
We wait on getting security cameras from the area and check for any evidence. The cameras come back and show Cross at the scene and I wonder what my dad was doing here. I send him a message about meeting up before heading into the prescient where Kate has a photo of Cross and says "I figured out where I saw him before, he was the guy seen around Alexis kidnapping in Paris and left dead bodies behind"
Ryan asks "Castle did either you or Alexis see him"
I say "I don't think so, I can go see if Alexis did"
Kate asks "do you want me to come with you?"
I shake my head and say "stay here and see what else you can come up with"

I go to meet Cross but he doesn't show up so I head home and talk to mother about him. I can't believe he lied and I wonder what the truth is about him being here is.
There is a knock on the door and Cross is there with a gunshot wound, I get him in and into one of the bedrooms to help. Mother and I help with cleaning the wound and getting the bullet out before he stitches up the wound.

I hear Kate call out "Rick, are you here?"
I walk and over to her. She asks "did Alexis know anything?"
I say "there's something I should have told you"
She asks "what is it?"
I lead her into the bedroom and say "he's your father in law"
We all talk and get information about Gemini who would have killed Ted. We watch the news about the shooting and chase Cross was involved with that got him the wound.

Kate and I head to the library and follow my dads instructions on what to do to find Gemini when I realise something is wrong and get stuck with Gemini aiming a gun at me before my dad comes in and shoots him. I head off to get Kate and when get back they are both gone and the weapon is left behind.

We finish the paperwork before heading home for dinner with the family. We put the twins to bed before going back out to Martha and Alexis to talk about my father and everything that happened.

Authors note...
I am so sorry for not updating. I had been working on other books and didn't realise that I hadn't finished this one. I will try and work on this one more.
Thank you for sticking with the book, I know it has been awhile.