Chapter 45

Beckett pov...

My maternity leave is up so it's time for Rick and I to go back to work. Lanie is also starting back the same day. We drop our children off at daycare, Hunter, Johanna and Cosmo go to the same one they are just separated in sections to do with age. Both Lacey and Sarah-Grace go to the same one also so they are making friends seeing each other more.

Rick and I walk over to our desks where Ryan, Espo and Lanie are standing already. Gates comes over to us and says "it's you to have you all back at work, right back into it there has been a murder"
I nod and say "thanks, yes sir"

We all head out to the scene. Ryan and Espo start canvassing, Rick looks around to see if he can find anything helpful, I go with Lanie to see the victim and find out what we know.
I victim is 35 year old male, Micheal Reilly. He had his phone and wallet with him. Micheal was killed with a cut across the throat, from the blood splatter we can tell he was standing at the time and then fell. He was killed in any alley in the middle of a main street.
Once we are finished at the head we head back to the precinct to share information.

We know Micheal's wife died two years ago from terminal cancer, no relationships since then. They had no children. Micheal is a teacher at a local high school, they had a meeting at work last night. Based on time of death he was killed walking from school to home as the location of the body was at point between the two.

Ryan, Espo, Rick and I head to the school to interview some of the teachers and students that knew Micheal to see what we can find out.
Micheal had been working at that school for ten years and got along with all the teachers there. Most of the kids we talked to seemed to like him, he was in a disagreement with one of the students about a grade but he had an alibi by being at work last night.

We finish at the school and go talk to family and friends of Micheal's to see if they know anything. We didn't get any motive for murder as it seemed like Micheal was liked at worked and since his wife passed away he stuck to being at home or going out with a few close friends. He would still visit his family and the family of his wife because they still considered him family.

We put all the information we had up on the murder board before going leaving. All our team headed to the daycare to pick up the children, say goodbye and head home for the night.

After starting a new day at work we start going over everything we have found and what else we can come up with. Rick says "I think I found something"
He hands me a piece of paper and says "one of his students thought she was in love with Micheal and was tired of being ignored, she a wrote a note for him and left it in his papers"
I read over it and say we need to talk to her. Ryan and Espo head to the school to find out who it was as there was only the name Helayna. Rick and I start on some more paperwork and sorting things out until Ryan and Espo come back with a teenage girl. They say she was the only one in the school with that spelling of her name. She said no to having a lawyer or family member present, she is 18 so she doesn't need one if she chooses.
Ryan and Espo take the interview in the interrogation room while Rick and I watch. Helayna immediately admits to the letter and how she was in love with Micheal. She said "he's had enough time to grieve, I've been waiting years for him and he turned me down. I always get what I want and when he rejected me repeatedly I had enough and killed him"
Rick looks at me in surprise, she killed her teacher for not wanting to break the law and be in a relationship with her, Micheal wasn't interested in her at all and she couldn't handle it.
We send Helayna to processing where they can do a mental assessment before sentencing.