Chapter 48

Castle pov...

I'm on my book tour, don't get me wrong I love the fans but I love my family more. At least it's only a short tour this time. These tours are all about signings, photos, questions, greetings and me reading to the fans. I get to see a little of the area wherever we go.

The final book signing is done and I heard back to the hotel. I leave to go home tomorrow night. I call home to talk to Kate and the children, once I end the call I turn on the TV to a random cooking show. I watch about half of the show before there is a knock on the door.
I get up and open it to see my dad standing there. I let him and and ask "what are you doing here?"
He says "I need your help on a case, I knew you were here on tour so I came"

He tells me what's happening with his case of a few people are trafficking people, guns or drugs in and out of the country. He needs someone to go in wanting to buy something but one of the people involved has hacked into the police database and knows who's looking at them. They need someone new which is where I come in. All I have to do is make a deal and the the rest of the CIA team can step in. We head ready and I get dropped off and go to meet the guy I was shown a photo of so I knew who to talk to first.
The deal goes smoothly but then when the team arrive I hear gunshots from different directions. I feel pain before everything goes black.

I wake up to a beep noise and see I'm in the hospital and the noise is just my heart monitor. A nurse walks in and say "hello sir, good to see you up. Your doctor is talking to the man who brought you in and they will be in here soon"
I nod and say "thank you"
They nod and walk out.  After a few minutes my dad walks in with the doctor. The doctor says "hello, I am Dr Mathewson. We had a successful operation on your shoulder, you should make a full recovery. How is the pain?"
I say "hi, thanks doc, it hurts but is mostly manageable"
He nods and says "we can give you some more pain killers, you are lucky this man brought you in when he did or it would be much worse. We want to keep you here for a few days of observation and then you should be able to leave. You will need to keep the sling support on your shoulder for eight weeks to help it heal and stop further damage"
I nod and he says "I'll leave you to rest and be back soon"
After he leaves I look at my dad and ask "what happened?"
He says "it went wrong and you got shot in the shoulder, you passed out from a mixture of blood loss and shock. The man you shot you is dead and so is his accomplice."
I nod and ask "does Kate know?"
He shakes his head and says "no, I'm not meant to be here. The case never happened, I was just a guy who found you and brought you to hospital"
I think for a moment and say "your my father, I love you and all but you can't do this anymore. Every time we see each other something bad happens, I can't risk it anymore with Kate and the children.
He frowns and asks "what are you saying?"
I say "I'm saying that unless you are dying I don't want to see you again. I'm sorry but I don't want to risk mine, Kate's or the children's lives just to see you"
He nods and says "I understand son, that's the way it has to be for my line of work"

After my dad leaves I see my phone on the table next to me, I pick it up with my good arm and see all the missed calls from mother, Alexis and Kate. I quickly call Kaye back first, she answers immediately and I hear her say "babe" at the same time Alexis says "Dad" and mother says "Richard"
I say "I'm here"
Kate says "you missed your flight, Gina didn't know where you were. We were worried something happened to you"
I say "I'm fine now, I'm sorry for worrying you"
Mother asks "what do you mean by fine now?"
I say "I had to helps certain relative and got shot in the shoulder, the doctors fixed it and I'm recovering in hospital for a few days then I'll head straight home to see you all"
Alexis asks "is he still there?"
I say "no, he left so I wasn't putting myself or any of you in danger. I will tell you all what happened when I get home"
Kate says "okay babe, rest up and be safe. I love you"
I say "I will, love you all"