Chapter 1-Carina (just revised)

"I think this child would be perfect for you" the director of the orphanage told the couple. "She has been an angel the whole time she has been here."

"If she is as perfect as you say, then why has no one snatched her up?" asked the potential mother.

The director just shook her head and said "The only thing we can figure out is because for five years old she is very mature and very smart for her age and I guess most people are intimidated by that. Just come meet her for yourself" she finished as she led the couple to a more quite room in the building.

The couple waited for about 10 minutes and the door opened and the most beautiful little girl walked in. She had brownish red hair and the face of an angel.

She walked over to the couple and stuck her hand out and in the softest voice said "Good afternoon. I'm Carina. I'm five years old and I drew you this picture!"

The couple looked at one another, smiled and then the woman leaned down and asked Carina "Would you like to have a family, leave this place and come home with us to be our little girl?"

Carina was at her parent's house visiting before she headed to the restaurant. "Mama let me help you with that" Carina said taking the tea tray from her mother as they sat down on the sofa.

Her mother let out a tired breath. "Thank you dorogaya (sweetheart)" her mom replied. "How are things going at the restaurant?" she asked blowing on her tea.

Carina was mid bite on a tea biscuit and put up her finger as if to say just a moment. "Mama it's great! I'm really wanting you and papa to come one night to dinner to see the place. Every night I am asked about you two" she said sipping her tea.

"Well Valentine's Day is coming up Carina and I think I have talked papa into taking me out to dinner" she said smiling.

Carina looked at her mom smiling and couldn't believe that they had been together 65 years. This had always been a happy home for Carina.

Her parents never raised their voices, they were loving but firm, gentle and kind but always expected so much from Carina because they knew she was a capable girl.

"Mama, I know I don't say this often enough to you and papa but thank you, thank you for picking me, thank you for being my parents and giving me a loving home" she finished by moving over to her mother and throwing her arms around her neck, tears streaming down her face.

"Oh Carina it is you we should be thanking. You have brought so much joy and laughter to this house.

We loved you the moment we saw you and knew that you had to be ours. We couldn't be more proud of you" her mother said eyes shining with tears.

"I love you mama. I'm going to go change for work now. Do you want me to take care of the tray for you?" she asked. 

Her mom shook her head "Net (no). But Carina before you run off I need to talk to you about something real quick. Have a seat" she said patting the couch.

Carina slowly walked up the stairs, digesting what her mother had just said to her.

We received word that Dimitri is coming here to get you. We don't know the date just any time in the next week.

Her stomach tightly clinched and her thoughts ran wild as she looked in the mirror.

She lightly fingered the necklace that he'd sent her for her 17th birthday. It was very simple and elegant, silver with two charms a "D" and a "C" encrusted in diamonds; she'd worn it for ten years never taking it off.

Picking up her brush she started to run it through her long straight hair and something else caught her eye...her tattoo, on her left side just above her breast near her heart and all it said was Dimitri in cursive black ink.

She'd splurged on herself for her 21st birthday and she was the only one that knew about it, besides her mother, Lana and Ana.

She was his, she had been since she was 10. It didn't matter to her that he was 7 years older than her; she would always get excited when a letter came or the phone would ring and the older she got the more she anticipated the phone calls and these phone calls still continued to this day, even though it'd been six months time since she'd heard from him lately.

He was a very busy and important man in Russia and she knew this and she also knew that whenever he could, he would always call.

She never made him feel bad, when so much time would go by. She shivered at the memory of his voice.

She'd also never shared the fact with anyone that she had remained a virgin, except Ana and Lana, her two best friends, she never really wanted boyfriends and it was not for lack of trying on their part.

She only wanted Dimitri.

"Mama! I'm going now!" she called from the door. 

"Alright darling. Have a good night and if you see Don Costas give him my love!" Carina said she would and shut the door behind her and climbed into her car, a 2015 Lexus, and drove to Romanov's.

She loved her job there. It was a different kind of setting because of the clientele.

The front part was a normal restaurant but the back part, which was closed off to the general public, was for members of the families and what that means is the Russians, the Italians, and the Greeks.

There was only one rule:  when you came into the back part...we were all family here and you leave your squabbles for your own time.

This was a place of rest, relaxation and good food and drink. She took care of this back part; these gentlemen were her responsibility and she always sent them on their way happy and full. She loved her job!