Chapter 59-My Protector

I was glad to see our house as Marco pulled the car into the drive.  Dimitri and I hadn't really talked anymore since we'd made love on the plane.  He was in full on 'protector' mode and I wasn't going to be the interfering wife, I would just let him get done what he needed to do.  He stayed down with Marco while I trudged up to our room.  I dumped my bag in my closet and peeled off my clothes and put on my black robe.  I stood at the mirror deep in thought about all the things that had been happening and my mind was troubled.  I decided I needed to work out and shrugged off my robe and put on my work out clothes and headed to the gym.  I passed Liam on my way and asked him to give me a hand with lacing up my gloves.  He kept staring at my arm and then would look away when he noticed me looking at him.  "It's okay to ask me about it Liam.  It is what it is" I said nonchalantly.  He looked embarrassed.  "I'm sorry Carina.  I didn't mean to stare."  I grinned and told him it was no big deal and thanked him for his help with the gloves.  I asked him to push the play button on my phone, Five Finger Death Punch screaming in my ears and started my workout.  I was beating the shit out of the bag but didn't worry about my hands because of my new gloves from Dimitri.  I was getting some good hard kicks in there, imagining that bastard's face and putting my body through the paces.  Sweat was just dripping off me in buckets.  I'm not sure why I was pushing myself so hard, maybe pent up anger and frustration, learning new things about my mother and what she must have gone through.  The more I thought of her the harder I hit the bag and the harder I hit the bag the more the tears came until I just physically couldn't do anymore, I took my gloves off and laid down on the weight bench and cried and cried and cried.

Liam went into Marco's office where he, Dimitri, Marco and Mattias were discussing next moves, more surveillance and possibly contacting Natasha's old friend again.  Dimitri said he was going to go check on Carina when Liam spoke up and said he'd just left her in the gym.  Dimitri's eyebrow raised a bit and went to the ccTV and rewound the tape to when she first went in there.  He saw innocent conversation between her and Liam, Liam helping with the gloves and then he left.  He studied his wife's body and her movements; she was angry and he was thankful he'd bought her the gloves sooner rather than later the way she was going at that bag.  He watched her wear herself out to the point of having to stop.  He saw her laying on the bench and it looked like she was crying again.  He needed to go check on her.

By the time Dimitri got to the basement steps he heard Carina on the phone.  She was talking to her mom and she was crying.  "I know what you and dad were keeping me safe from all those years" she said crying.  "I know about Natasha too.  Oh my God what she went through to keep me safe!  I wish I could let her know somehow that I turned out okay, that I had amazing parents who love me, great friends, amazing family, and an amazing husband that has done and would do anything for me."  "I know mama.  I'm not mad at you.  You were keeping me safe and I know why.  All those times Adriano and Alessio would follow me around, they thought they were being so smart but I always knew they were there.  Did you and dad set that up with Leo?"  "Yes, I know all about Dimitri and the contract and how he promised everyone to keep me safe.  Yes mama he told me everything.  I don't really know what I feel right now.  I've had a lot dumped on me in the last 24 hours.  I will tell you this though, Dimitri has my heart more now than he did in all the past years.  I know he is mama.  Tell dad I love him.  Don't worry about me, please.  I will be okay.  I have the best support system in the whole world and you already know that he will take care of me.  We'll talk again soon.  Love you too.  Bye."

Dimitri backed slowly up the stairs.  He'd heard every word.  She still loved him.  He's not even sure why he was worried about it.  He would give her time to get upstairs before he went to her.  He could see her leaving on the monitor and knew she would be upstairs soon.  He walked slowly up the stairs, his mind going back over everything she'd told her mom.  He just shook his head as he walked into their room, shut the door and locked it.  He heard the shower and decided that it was time for him to offer the comfort she'd given him so many times when he was stressed or couldn't sleep.  She needed him now.  He stripped off all of his clothes before walking into the bathroom.  She was under the water, head back, just letting it wash over her body.  His eyes were drawn to her arm and how it must hurt.  She lowered her head and sighed as he walked up behind her gently pulling her to himself he said "It's my turn baby.  Lean on me" he said lovingly as he turned her around, put shampoo in his hands and gently massaged the shampoo into her scalp trying to mimic what she does for him.  After rinsing out the shampoo he put conditioner in her hair and while waiting to wash that out he got the chamomile oil and massaged her shoulders finally feeling some stress and tension fall from her body.  She turned and moved herself closer to him "Hold me Dimitri, please" she pleaded.  Strong and loving arms encased her making her feel loved, safe and wanted.