CHAPTER 2: A Strange Bishoujo

"Now, now, settle down, all of you..." Their homeroom teacher just arrived.

The students quieted down and sat properly in their seats. "Class Rep." The teacher called.

"Yes sensei." The class representative stood up. "Stand." The whole class stood up. "Bow." He said. The class obeyed.

"Ohayougozaimasu!" The whole class chorused.

"Ohayou." The teacher greeted back. "Now you probably heard that we have a new student in the class. I can hear all of you chattering in the hallway."

Excited buzzing can be heard throughout the room, especially from the girls.

"Is it true that the transfer student aced the entrance exam?" The Class Rep. asked.

"It's true." He replied.

The class buzzed with chatters again.

"Is it true he came from abroad?" All sorts of questions can be heard from them.

Meanwhile, the girl standing behind the door took a pen hanging from a silver necklace on her neck and scribbled something on her right palm.

"Well, then, you should just go ask the person." The teacher said. "Come in."

The sliding door of the classroom opened.

A girl walked in. Long, dark hair tied with a single white ribbon fluttered behind her as she walked. Her petite, nicely shaped body wore the school's uniform with a flair that no one had ever shown before. She stopped in front of the whole class.

Her face too was pretty. Her eyes, shaped like those of a cat, were big and doll-like with the color of rust and framed by long lashes. Her head decorated with a yellow headband and her shaped legs highlighted by a pair of yellow tall socks with garter straps. She looked at the class with a calm, serene facial expression.

The class began to mumble among themselves. Didn't Osakada Tomoka say that the transfer student was male?

"Quiet down." The teacher instructed. "Introduce yourself." He told her.

She took a stick of chalk and wrote her name on the board. After that, she turned to the class again and said, "Fujioka Ryouko. Ju-nii sai. Yoroshiku. (Fujioka Ryouko. Twelve years old. Nice to meet you.)"

The boys' delayed reactions came. They clapped and whooped in appreciation for this bishoujo's entrance.

Ryoma looked at the transfer student. His eyes widened in silent surprise.

"Fujioka. Go sit right there, in the empty seat next to Echizen, near the window." The teacher instructed, pointing at an empty chair at the left side of a dark-haired boy who was looking at Ryouko with a dumbfounded expression.

Ryouko did as she was told and sat quietly in the seat specified without looking at anyone.

She sat down and looked at Ryoma. "Fujioka Ryouko-desu. Yoroshiku." She said, holding out her hand towards him for a handshake. She opened her hand wide enough for him to see the writing on her palm. The message was simple. 'Pretend you don't know me or die by my hands'

Ryoma stared transfixed at her outstretched hand. He frowned. "Yoroshiku." He said nonchalantly, shaking her hand. With that, Ryouko turned her attention to the front of the room.

Ryoma looked at her sideways for a moment, and then stared straight at the blackboard.

"You can come by the office later, Fujioka, so that you can get hand-outs from past lessons in your subjects. You transferred at a pretty inconvenient time, after all. The midterms might be difficult for you." The teacher told her.