CHAPTER 64: Something Special

Ryoma broke free from Ryouko and stepped back. "Done. Let's go now." He said, immediately turning around.

"What the heck's that about?" Ryouko thought, looking at his back and then at her hand which she used to pat his shoulder with. She ditched the thought and shrugged. "Wait up." She said, following him.

Catching up, she jogged alongside him. Ryoma had both hands inside his pockets and he was staring straight ahead, his eyes partly hidden under the hood. It seemed like he wasn't in any mood for a conversation so Ryouko kept her mouth shut. She was, however, in definite curiosity and kept her eyes locked on him in side glance, blinking every once in a while.

The dead of the night was the same as when she took a walk with Sanada, except this time, the cicadas' noises were louder. Perhaps it was because they were closer to the woods now.

"What?" Ryoma suddenly broke the ice.

"Huh?" Ryouko asked, stunned that he talked first.

"You were staring. Is there something you want to say?" He asked back.

"Well... Nothing really... I just thought you were unnatural back then. Is something wrong?" She said, swinging her paper bag on her left hand and using her right to tuck in the stray strands of her long hair behind her ear.

"Nothing. It was just a little chilly." Ryoma answered.

"You were cold?" She asked.

"Nope. You were." Ryoma replied simply.

"No, I wasn't." She said, shaking her head. "And what was that about calling me stupid and..." She paused to recall. "You said I was always worrying you."

"Baka. Is what I said that hard to understand? You're supposed to be intelligent... I said that you're a great stupid oaf for wearing such a thin jacket on a cold night and you're worrying me that you'd catch your death on the beach later. Ichidou would have me beheaded if you get sick, so I generously shared a bit of my precious body warmth with you. It's my way of saving my hide." He narrated smoothly.

"But I wasn't feeling the least bit cold." Ryouko pointed out.

"Really? I'm pretty sure I saw you shiver when you stepped out of the gate." Ryoma said, looking at her.

"Nope. The temperature is fine. And my jacket is very warm." She answered.

"It must have been my misconception then." Ryoma said, shifting his eyes on the road ahead. "Were you startled?" He asked.

"Just a bit." She admitted. A thought hit her and the corners of her lips went up. "Maybe it was you who needed somebody's body warmth." She elbowed Ryoma on the ribs. "Hey, are you cold? Want a hug?" She said teasingly.

"Yeah, yeah, very funny. You should be grateful that I'm concerned about you." Ryoma said, bumping her with his shoulder a little too forcefully.

Ryouko was propelled a few steps to the side. Annoyed, she charged and bumped him back with twice the force. "Aww, come on now. Don't be shy." She grunted. Ryoma was forced sidewards, almost tripping in his own feet. He blinked before the annoyance registered in his brain. He glared at Ryouko.

She smiled at him smugly. "If you need warmth, I'll be your human heating pad." She said matter-of-factly.

"Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather hug myself." Ryoma said with a grunt as he bumped her again, getting his revenge.

Ryouko sighed with exaggerated patience and slung the paper bag on the hook of her elbow. "There's no need to be so reserved. Come here and I'll smother you with hugs and kisses." She cracked her knuckles in a menacing way.