CHAPTER 50: Stubborn Girl

"Why? Is there a reason for me not to be here? Last time I checked, this area is still ours." Atobe Keigo replied sarcastically, one brow raised.

Ryouko scowled and her face darkened considerably. "Shouldn't you be in Okinawa already?"

"I overslept." Atobe shrugged.

A vein ticked off on Ryouko's temple. "You are so irresponsible. For a host of a—"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I don't want to hear your nagging. You're not my mother. Besides, even without me there, I hired organizers." Atobe interrupted.

"You mean your father hired organizers. Stop talking as if you provide the money, you spoilt brat." Ryouko retorted.

Atobe rolled his eyes. "Why don't you shut up and just move? I can't open the door with you barricading my way." He made the gesture of opening the car door into a small gap.

Ryouko begrudgingly stepped back and stayed on the side of the vehicle. All eyes were on Atobe as he dismounted from the passenger seat of the pick-up. He stretched as soon as he was out. "That is one uncomfortable ride. I regret not taking the limo." He complained.

Ryouko looked at him with one brow arched in an exasperated manner.

"I have uselessly long legs so I can't possibly be comfortable without stretching them out during travels." He pointed out.

"I see... Maybe you'll give me the privilege of cutting them so they'll be shorter." Ryouko remarked, smirking in mock sarcasm.

"I rest my case." Atobe answered.

Finally, they had noticed the pairs of eyes surveying them curiously. Ryouko uncomfortably pinned a few stray strands of hair stubbornly escaping her ponytail at the back of her ear. Atobe cleared his throat and said, "Your tire is at the back."

"What the heck is with them?" Ryoma thought, looking from the tall Atobe to the smallish Ryouko. He couldn't help feeling a bit annoyed. Ryouko was sarcastic with everyone but she always reminded herself to watch her tongue, especially with people older than her. She never argued with anyone in such a manner except with her cousins and close friends. He doubted Atobe Keigo fitted in one of those categories...

Ryouko moved towards the rear of the vehicle, followed by some freshmen and the regulars, who looked uncertainly at Atobe's direction from time to time.

"I see you're still as plain as always, e, Tezuka?" Atobe greeted as he passed.

Tezuka responded with a brief glance and ignored him afterwards. Atobe ran his fingers through his hair and looked curious. That was by far the coldest response he received from the Seigaku captain.

Ryouko inspected the said tire, nodding as she felt and prodded the thick material. "Looks good to me." She commented.

"I am pretty sure you can't handle that." A mocking voice came from behind her. She knew without looking over her shoulder to whom the skeptical voice belonged to. "Why don't you just go back to the passenger's seat and shut your trap. I doubt you will be useful here." She replied without looking.

The regulars remained silent because they thought the same as Atobe said. Momoshiro and Kikumaru glanced at each other. Oishi, Kawamura and Fuji looked worried. Tezuka was silent, but he shared their thoughts. Inui and Kaidoh knelt next to Ryouko, pretending to examine the tire, with the ulterior motive of providing support to her.

Atobe shrugged. "Whatever you say."

"Let me just get this straight. If you thought that I am so incapable in changing the bus tire, then why didn't you just send a new bus to make matters easier?" She asked, annoyed.