CHAPTER 19: The Petition of the Upperclassmen

"You're wreaking havoc, you are..." Ryoma commented as he bit on his corndog.

"Wreaking havoc on what?" Ryouko asked with her mouth full.

"That's just disgusting. Chew first and swallow before talking." Ryoma told her, making a face.

"Hmmph. What's it to you if I talk before or after chewing." Ryouko said, annoyed.

Ryoma ignored her.

Ryouko made a face, chewed five times and swallowed. "There. You happy?" She told Ryoma. "And what do you mean by wreaking havoc?" She added.

"You turned the club upside down. Some senpais aren't too happy that the freshmen will be allowed to participate in the ranking competition. Mind you.They also didn't like it when I was allowed to take part in it..." Ryoma answered.

"Well, don't you think it's unfair? Talents and potential are at its expiration date at our age. Some that doesn't start immediate training ends up losing their potential. You may be Seigaku's pillar of support, but what will happen if you no longer have a team to support? A pillar is useless without walls and a roof." Ryouko answered.

"That's looking from your perspective... Well, it's not as if I don't understand... I'll also want Seigaku to start training the lower years in preparation for the incoming disappearance of the third years. It's a practical thing to do. But looking from the perspective of the other senpais who undergone the tradition wherein they won't be able to participate in the rankings until their second year, it's unfair." Ryoma reasoned.

"That's sports. It can be like that at times. Out with the old and in with the new, as people say. If you can make things better, you have to try. And if you see that it is indeed better, then you should change the old way. Even if it's tradition, it will be best for the people to swap it with the new one. As for those who were affected by the old tradition and suffered under it, we can't do anything about that. Rebellion against the old traditions may be a good way to pave paths to newer and better things. That's why being rebellious isn't always a bad thing. Of course, that depends on what you are rebelling about. Besides, there had been several special cases. Look at you and the other regulars, particularly Tezuka-buchou... Because you're talented, they made you start out early. But what about those that weren't fortunate enough to be born with immense talent? I don't know about you, but I think that as long as there's potential, no matter how small it may be, it has to be honed immediately. Being average isn't a sin. Average people should have more support than the immensely talented ones. They need help more than those with more innate talents." Ryouko told him.

Ryoma shrugged and silently marvelled at Ryouko's speech skills. She always had this ability for you to think that what she's saying is right. As Gaito always said, she's good in 'convincing' people. Nobody would want to say that to her, of course. It's pretty easy for Fujioka Ryouko to get a swelled head.

"I've got to go. I arranged a meeting among the first years." Ryouko suddenly said, standing up.

"About what?" Ryoma asked.

"Training." Ryouko answered simply before going away.

Ryoma was used to Ryouko's vague answers, but this is one thing that he was curious about. He wanted to know what she will do to train the first years into shape in time to make them strong enough to compete in the rankings.

But more importantly, there's something that he was more curious about than that.

"Oy, Ryouko..." Ryoma called.

Ryouko looked over her shoulder. "Nani? (What?)" She asked.

"Fudoumine's Ibu. What's up with him?" Ryoma asked back.