CHAPTER 80: Games and Matches

Arai went over the mechanics of the game once again, looking over the heads of the crowd. "As we don't really have much time to separate the matches in blocks, one team will fight aginst one team making nine matches for the nine pairs. Firstly, there will be a coin toss. The team that will win the coin toss will have the privilege to draw from the opponent's lottery and choose their opponent's first pair as well as the pair that they will send as their representative for the first match. After the first match is settled, the winning pair will have the privilege to draw from the lottery to decide the players for the second match. This will continue until all nine pairs have fought in their matches. The team with the most number of wins will be declared the winner. As there are nine matches, there is no possibility of a tie unless a pair forfeits or is unable to continue playing." He explained.

Suddenly, Nio raised his hand in the air.

"Yes?" Arai asked, noticing him.

"If that's so, then there will be three champions in this event. How will the victor be decided then? Are the winning teams going to fight each other afterwards?" Nio asked.

"No. That won't be necessary. The final victor will be decided upon the number of matches won by the winning teams. For example, one team got six wins, another got five wins and the third has four wins. Thus, the team with the six wins will be the final champion. Having two or three champions is possible in the case that the number of wins is the same. If that happens, the victors will have to split up the prize." Arai answered.

The players cheered at the mention of a prize. "What is the prize?" Some yelled at him. "Yeah! Tell us!" A few of them added.

"CEO Atobe said that the prize is going to be free passes to the Sports Facilities and Amusement Parks that the Atobe Industries operates. These passes are good for one year's use." Arai told them.

The cheers after this became a lot louder. "Yosha! Let's do this!" Kikumaru said, jumping in the air, the tail of his Cheshire Cat costume swaying right behind him.

"Hey! Be careful. You're gonna hit someone with that tail." Zaizen complained.

"Gomen, gomen, Usagi-san. (Sorry, Sorry, Mister Rabbit.)" Kikumaru said playfully.

Zaizen's bunny ears twitched at the top of his head. "Don't call me a rabbit!" He said in annoyance. Behind him, Kai shared his sentiments.

"Quiet down everyone. We're not finished with the instructions yet." Ikeda announced on the microphone.

"Yesterday, the designations of the teams opposing each other had been already made. Team 1 will go against Team 4." Hayashi said.

"The Police Squadron versus the Shinsengumi, huh? It's guns versus swords then." Hitoji commented with a chuckle.

"Baka. As if they can play tennis with those things." Koharu told him.

"Of course they won't play tennis with those... I'm just voicing out my opinion." Hitoji answered, pouting.

"Team 5 will go against Team 6." Hayashi continued.

Tomoka and Mami's eyes sharpened. "Let's settle this once and for all, ei, Shirayukihime (Snow White)." Tomoka said in a challenging tone.

"Sure. Even though a lowly cowgirl is no match for a princess, I'll be the humble one and stoop low to your level just for this time." Mami answered, smirking.

Tomoka clenched her fist in annoyance. "Just wait. I'll pray that you'll be my opponent. I will crush you so badly, you won't be able to lift your head high ever again." She said between gritted teeth. She turned to her partner. "Please win, Kuwahara-san!" She told him.