CHAPTER 132: One Step at a Time

In the spacious kitchen of the Fujioka manor, Licht is in the middle of brewing a pot of tea. However, his usual level-headedness is nowhere to be seen and he ended up missing the right temperature, causing him to start all over again. It wasn't enough that Ryouko-oujou-sama's parents had arrived in the mansion with no prior notice, he didn't even had the time to compose himself before another surprise walked in their midst. He absent-mindedly looked at the labels of each brand of tea laid out on the counter and couldn't help thinking about the last consecutive occurrences.

Approximately thirty minutes ago, just after Licht had prepared the master room for the Fujioka couple to use, someone had showed up in front of the gates and upon seeing the familiar figure in the CCTV camera, Licht opened the gates and flew like the wind to confirm that what he had seen on the screen was not just his hallucination. He had just crossed the lawn to see for himself that his eyes were not playing tricks on him. It was indeed his Oujo-sama with her long dark hair waving in the winter breeze, walking towards him.

In his joy and relief, the butler momentarily forgot all formalities and ran towards the girl, engulfing her in an embrace.

"Oujo-sama! Thank goodness you're safe! Ryouko-oujosama!" he cried, squeezing her tight.

"Licht..." Ryouko mumbled softly under her breath. She placed a hand on his head gently. "Tadaima... (I'm home...) I'm sorry for everything..."

Realizing that he is behaving insolently, Licht composed himself and let go of his young lady. He looked at her from head to toe, making sure that she is not harmed in any way. It was then that he noticed how thinly dressed she is, like she just got out of bed, and only an old brown coat protected her from the cold. She wasn't even wearing a proper pair of shoes.

Licht almost scolded her but caught himself in time. She just returned from being missing for many days. He should keep the nagging for later and get her warmed up in the house. He ushered Ryouko inside and immediately forced her to take a warm bath.

After that, he ecstaticly informed Rikka, Ryoutaro and Ichidou about the young lady's return. The reactions Licht got were odd, for they didn't look happy nor relieved but rather confused and surprised. His instincts immediately told him that something is afoot and the three might know of something that he doesn't.

After Ryouko finished her bath, she asked Licht to call her parents and cousin in the living room. As soon as everyone was gathered, Ryouko bowed a ninety-degree formal bow and extended her apologies for causing them trouble. But even before she could make her excuses, Rikka stopped her and asked her to stand upright, saying in a gentle and motherly voice that they do not blame her for her actions. Ichidou and Ryoutaro also spoke comfortingly to Ryouko, following-up on Rikka's words. Licht excused himself for he thinks that he should not be included in a family discussion. And thus, Licht retreated to the kitchen to brew tea to serve later.

Licht felt conflicted. He had served the Fujioka family since he was sixteen years old and had been by Ryouko-oujosama's side all her life. But still, a servant is a servant. The fact that Ichidou-obocchama, Rikka-sama and Ryoutaro-sama seemed to have been hiding something from him and the reason why Ryouko-oujosama didn't ask for his help after learning about the engagement made that even clearer.

All that Licht wanted is to be of help to the person whom he vowed his loyalty for. From the time he held Ryouko-oujosama as an infant in his arms during his youth, he dedicated all his thoughts, time and effort to protect her and his life revolved around her since then. And yet... To think that he still cannot be trusted...

It breaks his heart.

~~~

Meanwhile, after Ryouko went back to her room and his Uncle and Aunt also rested in the master bedroom, Ichidou immediately took his phone out to call Ryoma. Just what is it that happened between them that Ryouko went out of hiding this early? The cancellation of the engagement was indeed finalized and Ryoma had known about it before him because his Aunt and Uncle went to his residence before going to the mansion but knowing both Ryouko and Ryoma's personalities, they would have waited at least a day before they decide that Ryouko could safely return home.