CHAPTER 99: Bitter? Sweet?

The smooth melody reverberated through the walls of the study as Ryouko moved her fingers along the neck of the violin. She had the bow in a delicate hold with her right hand, moving it up and down in a graceful manner. The bow slid through the strings like butter on hot toast.

Akashi Seijuro watched in surprise, quite mesmerized. His lips were slightly parted as the music danced in his ears. Ryouko proceeded with the last measure and Seijuro smiled slightly.

Three days. She had succeeded in playing Gavotte in three days. Sure, Au Clair de la Lune is a pretty basic piece. That was the reason he chose it for the beginner's course. Still, he couldn't help but feel impressed. Is that really the girl who made weird squeaking noises on the first day of the lessons?

The notes were textbook-perfect. She did everything as Seijuro taught her. Nothing pleases Seijuro more than a person who can answer properly to his instructions and advices. Ryouko is exactly that, robotic to the point that it's scary, yet human enough to be able to insert her own style to Seijuro's techniques.

Ryouko finished and detached the chinrest from under her jaw. "This still definitely hurts," she commented, placing the instrument back to its stand and massaging the side of her jaw where it rested.

Seijuro clapped slowly. "Yoku dekimashita (Good job)," he told her. "No more mice-raising for you, ei?" he added in amused mockery.

Ryouko frowned. "The last comment is unnecessary," she retorted. The first violin lesson got her extremely infuriated. Seijuro taught the proper way to hold the violin by performing the gestures in front of her. Ryouko mimicked perfectly.

"Gently slide the bow across the strings," Seijuro said. His hand moved downwards and a beautiful sound came out.

Ryouko focused and copied her tutor, mirroring his actions right down to the last detail.

'Kwee-eeaak-eeaak-eeeak...'

"A-re? (Huh?)" Ryouko said, quite dumbfounded.

Silence filled the room as tutor and tutee looked blankly at each other.

Seijuro snorted and let out a mocking laugh. "Nezumi? (A mouse?) Or was that a rusty door hinge?" he said, cracking a joke for the first time since his visit in the mansion.

Ryouko fumed. "Teach me properly, will you?" she snapped, her cheeks pink.

Seijuro pursed his lips and brought back his usual sober expression. "You're using too much force," he pointed out. "I told you to be gentle."

"I am being gentle," she said, stressing emphasis on her words. She frowned and used the tip of the bow to scratch her scalp.

"How disrespectful..." Seijuro thought, looking at how careless she is with the bow. Aloud, he said, "Then be more gentle. Use the lightest touch possible."

Ryouko tried again. A squeaking sound erupted for the second time.

And the third time.

And the fourth time.

"Damn!" Ryouko exclaimed, positively peeved.

Seijuro was looking more and more amused as the failed attempts increased in number.

"If you can't learn how to control the force you're using with your right hand, a good note won't come out," he told her.

Suddenly, A black cat entered the slightly open door, stretching its legs. It threw a passing look at Seijuro before ignoring him and scampered straight to Ryouko. He slid his slender body on her ankles and mewed.