CHAPTER 139: An Eventful Christmas

"Are there gonna be any guests or it's just us and your folks?" Fujioka Ryouko asked as she talked freely with a wireless earphone on one ear, fiddling with scissors using one hand and cutting out a portion of a neon green gift wrapper. She's lounging on the carpet of the sitting room beside a low table, occasionally snacking on warm tea and red bean jelly. She's also surrounded by colorful gift-wrappers, ribbons and small boxes and using her spare time to wrap up the gifts she prepared for Ryoma's family members.

To be honest, Ryouko usually didn't bother with such a thing herself as she could always have the stuff gift-wrapped upon purchase or have Licht wrap them up, but she felt like she has to do everything herself. After all, the gifts are for Ryoma's family. It's been a while since she last saw the Echizen couple together and it would also be the first time she would be meeting Ryoma's only cousin, thus she wants to exert extra effort.

As Nanako-san is one of the handful of people who is privy to their secret relationship, she also wanted to thank her for compromising and keeping mum about it. Ryouko is actually a bit nervous and sort of embarrassed to meet her because of that. The gift might actually be just an excuse to get to Nanako-san's good side.

Meanwhile, from the other side of the call, Ryoma is folding clothes, sitting atop his bed with one leg dangling by the edge and arranging the garments by type. He's not obsessive-compulsive when it comes to his things but he does make an effort to make everyday routines better for himself by clumping things of the same category at specific places. For example, shirts should only be with shirts and shorts only with shorts so he can grab anything on top without looking and still get the right garment.

Ryoma is also wearing wireless earphones for the call which is actually Ryouko's birthday gift to him. It isn't as romantic as his pair of engraved couple rings but it's clearly a lot more expensive. Not only is it from a top brand but it also has his signature capital red R on it. The item was obviously pre-ordered and customized.

Ryouko got herself a pair as well but with a capital blue R which he suspects she's using at the moment. As they're both calling each other quite often, the gift is actually very useful and well-thought.

"As far as I know, it's just us and I don't think my parents would invite other people... Don't bother too much about it since it's just going to be a small gathering. I think Christmas is only an excuse to have you come here. Mom just really wants to see you," he told her from the other line.

"I also want to see her. Well, I would still come visit even if there's no occasion to celebrate but I guess coming over with a clear purpose creates more meaning and excitement," Ryouko smiled. "I'm actually preparing small gifts to give everyone later. I bought them together with the gifts I sent to my family members. I wouldn't be bringing anything else aside from that but my butler has other ideas. Licht is the one who's taking this 'party' a little too seriously. When I told him last night about celebrating Christmas in your house, he went and rose up early to cook all sorts of food. I slept in so I couldn't stop him," she added, smoothing the red ribbon on top of a small box with the neon-green wrapper.

Ryoma scratched his head. "That might pose a problem. Mom and Nanako-san had been busy in the kitchen all morning and they don't exactly know how to hold back..."

"Well, let's just let them do whatever they want. It'll work out somehow," Ryouko remarked.

"I guess so," Ryoma shrugged. "I better check on what's happening downstairs... You'll arrive at one, right? No changes to that?" he added.

"Yep. No changes. I'll see you in a couple of hours," Ryouko answered.

"Dress warmly," Ryoma reminded.