CHAPTER 81: Fallen Angel

"Since Team 2 won the last game, the first serve goes to Atobe and Ryouko." Arai said. The four nodded and went to their places.

Before going to the back court, Ryoma tapped Sakuno in the shoulder. "Just stand near the net." He told her, pointing at the right side of the center court. "Just stand there and get out of harm's way. Let me handle this." He added.

"But..." Sakuno started, gripping the handle of her racket tightly. "I can help. Even just a bit." She said.

Ryoma had already turned around to go to his spot. "You'll help me much better that way... I can make you hit the easy shots but with those two, I doubt that there will be such a thing as easy shots. Just stay out of trouble and don't hit the ball if you're not confident." He said.

Sakuno was about to argue but she just shut her mouth. It is true that she would be no match for either Atobe or Ryouko, but since Ryouko is wearing such a disadvantageous dress, she thought that she might have a chance of landing one shot. "H-hai... Wakarimashita. (O-okay... I understand.)" She said, hanging her head sadly.

"Ryoma-sama... You shouldn't bully Sakuno... She's your partner." Tomoka mumbled under her breath, sounding extremely displeased. However, even Tomoka had to admit that Sakuno looked quite out of place inside that court. "Ganbare, Sakuno... Kitto dekiruyo... (Do your best, Sakuno. I'm sure you can do it...)" She thought sincerely.

At the other side of the court, Ryouko blew a few stray strands of hair from her face. She was standing on the service line and the ball is in her hand. She looked up at Arai and caught his attention. He stared down at her. "Are we really required to wear every article of clothing? Can I at least take this stupid veil off?" She asked.

"Sorry, Ryouko-chan, but you have to wear everything — props and every article of clothing. That's the point of this being a cosplay tennis match." Arai said. He suddenly turned to Atobe. "Which reminds me... Atobe-san. You're not wearing your neck scarf." He pointed out.

"It's right here." Atobe said, raising his left hand at head level. The neck scarf is wound around his wrist like a bracelet. "As long as it's on my body, it doesn't really matter if I put it on my neck or my wrist, would it?" He added.

Arai looked thoughtful. "Well, the rule did not say anything about that but the other teams kept each article of clothing and the props on their proper places. It won't be fair for them if we make an exception." He answered.

"Oh phooey. Just put it on your dang neck or I'll strangle you with it." Ryouko said right behind him. Rolling his eyes, he looked over his shoulder at her. "Stay out of this, you witch. I can't put it on properly. I'm used to my maids and butlers tying it for me, okay?" He replied in annoyance.

Ryouko rolled her own eyes and held up a hand at Arai. "Just a moment senpai." She started to walk towards her partner.

"Give the dang thing to me." She said, or more like instructed.

"Why would I give it to you when you just said that you'll strangle me with it? Do you think I'm stupid?" Atobe told her.

Ryouko sighed in exasperation. "Give it to me so I can strangl— I mean, so I can tie it for you. And my answer to your second question is yes, I do think you're stupid. Now give it." She answered.

Atobe raised the corner of his lips in irritation. Nevertheless, he untied the scarf from his wrist and flicked it at her. The end hit Ryouko in the face and she closed her eyes by impulse. She recovered in a split-second and opened them again, turning an evil eye at him as she gave an annoyed wince. She snatched the scarf from him.