Chapter 49 - Critical

Chapter 49 – Critical

“Happy birthday Mike.” Rein whispered habang inaayos niya yung flowers na dala namin. She placed them on the side of Mike’s headstone and I helped her sit down.

She continued arranging the flowers but I knew that she was talking to Mike on her mind. I hugged her closer and did the same.

Rein’s on her 9th month now and due next week. So far, when she reached her 8th month, she improved. The doctor said she was doing great as well as her condition. Hindi na siya masayadong napapagod and so far, wala naman siyang signs of weakness which gave us hope na she could go through this pregnancy without any threat.

It’s just 7am now and we decided na dumaan muna sa cemetery to visit Mike before we go to my office for a meeting lang naman tapos aalis na din kami. Ayoko kasi maiwan si Rein sa bahay magisa. Si Georgie naman is in a photo shoot while si Ian is in school.

“Blake? Do you want to go na? Baka ma-late ka eh.” She asked.

“It’s okay. Take your time.”

“Okay na ako. Ikaw?” She asked while I helped her get up.

“Give me a minute. Una ka na sa car.” I gave her the keys tapos umalis na siya.

I looked down at Mike’s grave and smiled remembering how much we would argue on how I think Rein is demanding too much of Mike’s time when in truth, hindi naman pala. Being with Rein made me realize that all the things I accused her way back was wrong. Rein doesn’t demand for anything. You just become drawn to her more when you start to know and love her. She becomes your drug ones she lets you into her life without even noticing.

I understand now why you love her so much. Right now, I couldn’t even imagine how to live without her. Mike, since you’re one of the angels up there right now, please help Rein go through this. Please let her and the baby be safe.

I gave one last respectful nod and went after Rein.

“Blake! What are you doing here??” Anton, obviously shocked, came to give me a brotherly hug and to Rein to give her a kiss on the cheek once he saw us in the hallway of the office. “I told you there’s no problem in staying at home until Rein gives birth.”

“I let him go.” Rein replied while clutching her paper bag of cronuts with a big smile on her face. “He didn’t want to leave me alone though. I hope you don’t mind me staying here.”

“No, not at all. Bianca’s in my office doing some stuff. Do you want me to call her?”

“It’s okay. I can go there myself.” She faced me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. “Promise me dinner later?”

“Of course.” She gave me a wink before walking away.

“When is she due?” Anton asked when Rein was out of earshot. We began walking to the board room.

“Anytime now.”

“And you’re not worried? I’ve seen Bianca give birth twice now and I still couldn’t afford not to remember how scared I was when I picture her lying in the hospital bed with the both of her and my child’s life are hanging by a thread.” 

“I am. But she’s doing great for the last months and I know that she’ll fight whatever it takes.” He gave me a pat in the back and smiled.