Chapter 6 - Giving Things a Try

Chapter 6 – Giving Things a Try

Rein’s P.O.V.

Daniel opened the door of his Porsche Carrera GT for me to enter.

He invited me for their family dinner this Sunday night. He wanted me to meet his family personally daw. We drove our way to Tagaytay where their family vacation house is located. He told me that they always go here after Sunday mass and spend the whole day bonding with his cousins, siblings, grandparents, and Tito’s and Tita’s.

Pagkadating namin doon, a woman around her 50’s was waiting for us at the gate.

“Daniel! Baby! Is this Rein? Ohmygosh. You’re so beautiful. No wonder why my Daniel likes you so much.”

I’m guesing she’s his Mom.

“Mom, ano ka ba? Anyway, Rein, this is my Mom. Mom, this is Rein, my friend.”

“Nice meeting you, iha. Just call me Tita Grace. I’ve heard so much about you. Let’s go in na.”

She smiled and walked with us inside.

Pinakilala nila ako sa lahat then we ate dinner. His family is really fun to be with.

I’ve also learned things about Daniel.

Daniel Mondragon is a handsome, family centered, and a religious man. He’s the only boy in their family. She has a 26-year old and a 6-year old sister. He’s 3 years older than me and…

He reminds me so much of Michael.

Daniel excused himself because he had to answer a call. I was left in the poolside without anyone to talk to when a girl around as my age siguro, came to me. Maybe kakadating niya lang because she wasn’t introduced to me a while ago.

“Hi. I’m Shanice  Mondrago, Nice for short. I’m Daniel’s older sister.” Nagbeso kami then she sat down beside me.

“Yes, I am. I’m Rein Allyson Villafuerte. Nice meeting you.”

 “If I’m not mistaken, you’re the daughter of the designer, Erika Yllustre? How come you have different surnames?”

“Actually, people always ask me that. I’m not an Yllustre. Illigitemate daughter lang ako.”

“That explain’s it. I’m guessing you’re close to your stepdad?”

“Oo. Sakanya na din ako lumaki eh. He also treated me as his own na din because I’m the oldest saamin.”

She smiled at me and held my hand. “You’re a nice girl. No wonder why my brother likes you so much.” I was speechless for a moment. I didn’t know what to say. “Minsan lang magmahal yung kapatid ko eh and he really has taste. I like you for him.”

She started typing somethings in her phone when Daniel went back to us, smiling.

“I see you’ve met Ate Nice. I hope she didn’t say bad things about me.”

“Shut up, Daniel. Buti nga d kita sinisiraan eh. I like Rein. She’s a really nice girl. I like her for you. You two should be together.”

She gave us a grin before she got back to doing something from her phone.

“Rein, I think I should bring you home already. It’s already late. Ate Nice, tell everyone that we’ll go ahead. See you later.”

Nung hinatid niya ako, we both decided that he should stay for the night since masyado na kaming ginabi dahil sa traffic and ayoko naman na baka mapahamak pa siya on his way back sa Tagaytay because of me.

I made him use the nearest room to mine para if he needs anything, he’s just one door away from me.  

For no reason, hindi ako makatulog so I just watched TV downstairs. I was watching Dear John and I was already in the part where John’s Dad is going to pass away. Even though I’ve watched this a couple of times before, hindi ko parin maiwasan na umiyak.

This has also been my hobby since Michael passed away. I would usually watch chickflick movies and feel pity for myself, then I would end up drinking alcoholic drinks and crying. I so feel worthless eversince I lost Michael.

“Nagtataka talaga ako why woman would make themselves cry and feel sad over movies.”

When I looked back, I saw Daniel standing at the end of the staircase while wearing Michael’s old clothes. Again, hindi ko nanaman maalis sa isip ko na parang si Michael talaga yung kasama ko. The way he talks, the way he moves, they’re so much alike. Magkahawig pa nga sila eh.

“Stop crying. It’s really hard for me to see girls cry eh.” Then he handed me a tissue box and sat beside me. “You should also stop drinking. That’s bad for you.”

Kinuha niya yung bottle nung iniinom ko and nilayo saakin.

I just looked at him without saying anything. Ayoko maging badmood just because he ruined my moment.

“Rein, listen. I know na we’ve just met a few weeks ago but Rein, I really like you. Alam ko naman what you’ve been through. I just want you to know I’m willing to wait.”

He held my hand which caused me to feel his sincereness. I didn’t know na alam niya pala yung mga nangyari saakin before.

I think it’s really time to give it a try. :)

“Daniel, I like you too. Pero hindi pa kasi ako ready to enter in any relationships muna.”

And by the end of the night, we’ve both decided to give it a try. It’s like we’re having a relationship but it doesn’t have any label at all.

I really hope he’s the one. :)