Chapter 36 - New Lives

Happy 12/12/12, everyone! :) 

-------------------------------------------

Chapter 36 – New Lives

Blake’s P.O.V.

Its exactly 6 years, 9 months, and a week since I read that letter that, I can say, has torn me apart.

I’m staying in New York for a year now because my sister’s husband assigned me to lead Giraux Communications here. I didn’t give up my old career and I still race every once in a while, just not as often as before. I’ve drowned myself in office work eversince I became a lonely man who was left by his family a few years ago because of my stupid fear and ego.

Everyone knows me now as Blake Bustamante, the stone-hearted business man-racer. All of them thinks that I didn’t feel pain when Rein decided to leave me. To the media people, its just a one sided story that Rein left because I was a freaking bastard husband who didn’t care about her wife’s existence. I didn’t feel the need to correct that because I knew that they wouldn’t listen anyway.

I decided to trap my own self in a brick wall that I, myself built around me to avoid the people from coming near me. And inside that brick wall, its just me and the imagination of my happy family living together in a problem-free world. Unfortunately, it wasn’t like that.

I knew that Rein went back to that apartment in London after 3 weeks. For the past six years I know where she is but I didn’t have the strength to come up to her and plead to come back to me. I was, amafraid to be rejected by her twice.

“Sir, do you want me to get you something?” My thoughts were disturbed by my secretary’s voice over the intercom.

“Thanks, but no. I’m going out too and I’ll be back after an hour. You go have a good lunch.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

Walking through Central Park makes me think of my family everyday. Seeing happy families and kids playing around, makes me think of what could’ve been. I wonder if my son even knows that I’m his father.

I stopped at my tracks when I noticed a boy who was staring at a tree top while he looked so annoyed. Tumabi ako sakanya and saw his toy helicopter got tangled in the branches. “Hi, kid. Need help with that?”

“I’m not allowed to talk to strangers.” I was impressed when I heard the boy spoke in british accent. He has visibly brown hair and white skin. I couldn’t quite decid if he’s American or British.

“I’m Blake.” He looked at me and I was taken aback. Those eyes. “Now I’m not a stanger, do you need any help with your toy helicopter?”

“I guess so.” He scratched the back of his head. “I’m Ian.” We shook hands and he smiled.

“Did you try to remove it with the remote?” He handed it to me and I tried but it didn’t even budge.

Without any hesistance, I carefully climbed up the tree even though I was wearing a three-piece suit and grabbed the helicopter. Ian was just watching me. When I went down and handed to him his helicopter, happiness was painted across his face.

“Thanks, Blake!” He said cheerfully.

“No biggie. Did you have lunch already?” He nodded no. “Well, let’s go. I’ll treat you. We’ll buy something then we’ll go back and eat here. Does that sound good?”