Day 131-Hadley

The snow is melting. The climate here is weird and I don't think we are in New England, at all. At home it is like a blizzard, snow falling, snow covering everything, snow everywhere. Here, it snowed two, three days at max, and now it's melting and warm out again. I don't understand weather.

Today is a low key day. Locklyn and Cason are asleep because she is tired and he's tired from her complaining and making him do things for her. Anya is cooking up a storm and I don't get why she is, but I think she is making snacks in case Locklyn gets hungry at any point of the day. Trace is watching the news channel just in case he sees his father doing a press conference.

I was pacing the hallway, rubbing my hand against the wall. I can't sit still and Anya says that can be from anxiety. It calms me down though. I tapped my fingers while silently counting in my head and stopped when I felt something sharp cut my palm. I looked and saw that it was bleeding. I clasped my hand shut, thinking it would stop, but it continued to bleed. I went into the bathroom, washed my hand, and covered it with a washcloth.

After washing it and putting a Band-Aid on it, I went back and looked at the wall closely. I tapped the wall and noticed a hollow sound where the sharp object was sticking out. I stepped back and closely examined the wall, seeing a faint outline behind the wallpaper. I went downstairs, to the closet in the hallway, took a utility knife, and went back upstairs.

Slowly and steadily with the knife I began to trace the outline of the door. The wallpaper was fragile, delicate, and old, so it was easy to cut through. The door was soon noticeable to the eye, but, I need to figure out what is behind it and what is sticking out in the middle of it.

I began to peel back the wallpaper and while doing so, I heard someone behind me. I turned my head and saw it was Cason sneaking out of his room and heading towards the bathroom. He stopped when he saw what I was doing.

"Hadley?" I nodded and continued to peel back the wallpaper. "What the hell are you doing?" his voice sounded weak and groggy, like he has a cold or sore throat. Then again, he just woke up.

"Something sharp cut me and when I looked to see what it was, I found a door. I am trying to cut the door out and see what is behind it."

"You are scaring me with the knife though. Give me that and let me see your hand," he was being protective and I believe that is because he has two children on the way and his body trying to settle into the soon-to-be changes. He took the knife and my hand. He took off the bandage and made a face. "Jeez, Had, you cut your palm good. Did you clean it out and put stuff on it?"

"I just cleaned it, why?"

"Come with me. I'll put ointment on it so it can heal faster. The last thing we want is you to have an infection." He dragged me to the boys' bathroom, ran the water till it was warm, washed my palm, and afterwards put ointment on, and rewrapped my palm. "Now, let me try and open the door. You weren't holding the knife correctly."

"Cason, I could do it, you need to rest. You look very tired."

"Don't worry about me," he sighed, took the knife, and went to the door. He held the knife tightly in his fist, threw his hand back to his head, and forcefully jammed it into the crack and pulled down to rip the wallpaper. He found where the doorknob should be and opened the door with the knife. He coughed when a cloud of dust came out.

Cason walked in first and I followed. What we found behind the door was a shock.

There was a child size bed, two cribs, and many toys, all covered in dust. Pictures hung on the wall and sat on top of the dresser. It was neat and clean, besides the dust, but it looked fairly decent.