Day 142-Cason

Hunting is difficult because it seems like the animals are gone. There is no snow here now, the animals can't be hibernating, and deer don't hibernate anyway. It's frustrating when you are stuck with barely any food and have to fend for yourself.

We have been in this cabin for almost five months now. Everyone is tired and how can we be so tired when all we do is sit around.

The silence. The thinking. The screams.

The screams have been more frequent and we are all on edge. We all sleep in the living room because we're scared of what could be upstairs. It has been happening more since Hadley found the room.

I lay on the couch watching the news and glancing out the window every minute. I soon sat up and looked over at Locklyn sleeping in the recliner. Someone put a light blanket over her. I stood up off the couch, kissed Locklyn on the cheek, and went into the kitchen. I was getting a glass of water.

"Hey," I turned to see Anya standing there. "You okay?" I nodded and chugged the glass of water I had. "What is going on, Cason? You're too quiet and this isn't like you."

"I'm tired. The screaming is getting to me and all I want is to sleep and not have to worry about being restless. I'm having two or three babies in a couple months, I need my sleep now so I can keep up with Lock and the babies."

"Yeah, I understand. Everything is just nerve-racking and getting to us. I see changes in Trace and Hadley." I turned to her and smiled. "What? That smile is creepy looking."

"I see you sneaking into Trace's room. Are you two like together?" She laughed and shook her head. Her cheeks becoming flush and her eyes staring down at the ground. "Anya Rowan," I poked her in the shoulder and she stepped back. "You are dating Trace, aren't you?"

"Don't say anything. We don't even know what is going on right now. We are just friends with benefits."

"Friends with benefits?" She nodded. "Anya, you like him and I have known he liked you. He was scared of Armin and what would happen if Trace broke your heart."

"You know about that?" She looked up at me with tears in her eyes.

"Of course I know and Armin did too." I crossed my arms and leaned up against the refrigerator. "You two are perfect for each other." She smiled. "Now, did you two have sex yet or no?"

"Cason!" She yelled and smacked me in the arm. "No, we haven't had sex yet because we are taking things slow. We don't want to rush into anything. We kiss and make out, that is about it. It's easier to sneak into his room than mine, so I do."

"I can't believe this. How long have you two been dating?"

"We aren't dating. We don't know what we are. It started when he kissed me the first week we were here and it escalated. We admitted that we do love each other and he was scared that Armin would kill him for dating me."

"Well, I'm happy for you two. You deserve to be happy, Anya, and Trace will make you happy, he always had." She nodded and grinned. I patted her back and walked back into the living room. Locklyn was still sleeping.

I lay back down on the couch and watch the television. It was talking about Senator Quinn's death and how the trial isn't progressing because of the lack of witnesses. We were witnesses though! Why are we even here?

I looked at the ceiling and felt a chill go down my spine thinking something isn't right about this place. I heard the scream again coming from the basement and I ignored it until there was a knock at the door.