Chapter 6 - Who I Am

Chapter 6:

Adam's POV:

We get out of the car and walk down the strip of shops along the, not very busy thank god, street. I smile down at Darcy and she looks up, the corners of her lips lifting a little, but her smile soon faltering. I sight quietly so she can't hear.

The day is filled with shopping and a little bit of laughter, or at least as much as I can get out of Darcy. I end up buying some new boots, and I finally convince Darc to let me buy her a couple new outfits.

I guess it's because her and her mum never had much money, that she is very worried about spending it. She constantly told me that she didn't need clothes, which is a lie, and she seemed to stress when the total amount showed up on the cash register. Her eyes kept darting back and forth between me and the shop assistant.

"How about we grab some lunch? I'm starved." I chuckle. It's already 1:30 and I know a good little café that's just around the corner.

"Me too." Darc says quietly.

"Let's go then." I smile and we walk towards the café.

***

"Adam!" Marley squeals as we reach the café. She runs into my arms and I hug her tight, spinning her around and then putting her down on the ground as she squeals again.

"Hey Marl, how have you been?" I laugh lightly and kiss my female best friends cheek.

"Good, good. How about you? Press says that you have a new guest. Oh hi, I'm Marley, you must be Darcy." Marley says with a smile, turning to the scared looking Darcy standing next to me. She hides a little behind me, but I don't blame her. Marley can be a bit full on at times.

"This is Marley, we went to high school together, and she was my only friend unfortunately. She only moved back from Australia about 4 months ago, which is actually where Darcy is from." I say, turning to Marley when I say the last part.

"Oh Em Gee! I loved Aussie accents while I was there. Please tell me you have an awesome accent." Marley says hopefully, jumping up and down slightly.

"Well I am from the same country." Darcy laughs lightly, seeming to warm up to Marley pretty quickly. Marley is 2 years younger than me, though there is still 13 years between them; Marl has always been the girl who can be serious but acts like a fun 18 year old.

"Eeeep! Come on, I'll find you 2 an awesome table." We follow her inside and she grabs 2 menus before leading us to a table towards the back.

"What would you both like to drink?" She asks, pulling a notepad and pen out of her small apron that ties around her hips.

She tucks a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear and her blue eyes sparkle as she smiles.

"I'll get a coke thanks." I say with a small smile aimed towards my cuckoo friend.

"Same here thanks." Darc says quietly.

Marl walks away to get our drinks.

"She seems really nice." Darcy says, looking up from her menu.

"Yeah, she is. She was the only person I could rely on in high school, well, you know, student wise." I chuckle lightly.

"We never knew. We still don't." I give her a confusing look and she laughs lightly, before continuing on.

"You never told us, not that it's our business, what it was like in high school. I know how it can be though, to feel left out and alone. I don't have any friends, never have." That's when I realise just how little I know about Darcy.