Chapter 2

Roderich panted heavily, his shaking hands holding onto his shaking thighs.

"Edelstien! Did I tell you to stop?!" Mr. Falconie shouted. "First you show up to my class without gym clothes, and then you stop?!"

"I'm sorry sir." He panted, turning his head to glare at the man. "But I didn't expect to be running pointlessly in circles."

The sun beat down on the overused running track, sweaty pubescent boys running along it. Gilbert sat off to the side, with a letter from his parents saying he'd suffered a concussion a couple days ago, Which he forged during first period after he had finished unpacking.

"Mind saying that again, Edelstien?"

"I said," he stood up properly, glaring at the man once more. "I didn't expect to be running pointless circles."

"Keep running, Edelstien." The man ordered, and Roderich still stayed put.

"Roddy, just run." Gilbert yelled from the stands, and that just angered Roderich even more.

"And just why should I? I'll have you know it's extremely bad for the knees, especially when you're on concrete!"

"Do you plan on doing anything after school today, Edelstien?" Falconie demanded, his black hair sticking to his forehead.

"Well, I-"

"Good! I count on seeing you in detention!"

Roderich almost choked on his own tongue. "Excuse me?"

"You've got a detention, Edelstien. I expect to see you there."

Gilbert's laughter could be heard from the stands, which only made Roderich even more angry. "You're giving me a detention because I prefer not to run?!"

"That's right, Edelstien. Didn't I tell you to run?"

Roderich was fuming. Not only did he hate running with a burning passion, but it was also only the first day of school (only second period too) and he had already received a detention.

He wanted to fight, to argue, to do something, but he knew that would only make his predicament worse.

And so he turned, and started jogging. Not running, just jogging. It still had him winded within a few minutes, but he didn't dare stop again.

-----

The time seemed to crawl by as fast as molasses in January, and by the end of gym, Roderich was sweaty, tired and still very angry. And he was going to be angry for a while, because the next period was Math, and he hated math, too.

It's not that he wasn't good at it, He just wasn't very good at showing his work, and that meant he didn't get as good of a mark as he'd like. In Most of his classes he had an average of around 98%. But in math and gym, he had 60s and 70s.

Which pissed him off. A lot.

Luckily, the teacher was mrs. Gamester, a familiar and cheerful face that seemed to make everything better. And the class was home room, which felt a lot more homey than any other room in the school.

"Alright, for this class, I have a seating plan, so that Gilbert doesn't send someone to the hospital again."

"That was one time! And he said I would never make it to college!"

"That's enough, Gilbert." Mrs. Gamester walked up to the desk closest to the front, in the left corner. "Gilbert. You're sitting here."

He groaned, but shuffled over there anyway, dropping his stuff on the desk and plopping down onto the chair.

"Vash, you sit beside him."

Gilbert groaned again. "Why do I gotta sit beside the Swiss?"

"Gilbert, can you not?" Mrs. Gamester murmured. She pointed to the desk behind Gilbert's, "Elizaveta, you're here."

A girl walked past him, which immediately caught his eye.

"Roderich, you're here." She pointed to the spot beside Elizaveta.

And so, he walked to his new spot, sitting down and carefully setting his things down on his desk. He turned his head to glance at the girl, who was currently drawing something on Gilbert's sweater in permanent marker.

She was beautiful.

Bright, sparkling green eyes were the first thing that caught his attention. The second was her beautiful brown hair, which was thick and had a small white flower in it. The third was, to state it plainly, her body.

She had to be the most stunning lady he'd ever laid eyes on.

He cleared his throat, catching the girls attention, and suddenly his mind went completely blank. "H-hello. My name is Roderich. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"I'm Elizaveta. Nice to meet you too."

She went back to drawing parts of the male anatomy on Gilbert's sweater. Gilbert was totally oblivious.

Roderich was awestruck. Her voice was soft and kind, although had a different tinge to it, an accent of sorts. "U-um... I was wondering. It doesn't sound like German is your first language... Pardon, I must seem rude... But... I was just wondering."

"German is my third language."

She turned to look at him again, capping the marker she was using to draw penises on Gilbert's sweater. "My second language is English. My third language is Hungarian."

"I speak English too, but that's about it. Just English and German." He spoke.

"English is fun." She murmured. "Mostly because barely anyone knows how to speak it. It's like spy talk or something, like a secret code."

"Yes. It is entertaining." He responded.

"Why are you talking about speaking English? It's not a secret code or spy talk or anything like you said. Vash and I can speak it too. So can luddy" Gilbert murmured.

"Are you kids taking English as a second language? Like, as an option?" Mrs. Gamester asked.

"Don't need to." Gilbert said, and the the rest of them pretty much agreed.

"They only teach the basics, right?" Elizaveta said. "We're all fluent. We don't need any of that."

Roderich was still kind of shocked by Elizaveta. She was so beautiful, so smart- so... Perfect.

Elizaveta was oblivious.

Gilbert, on the other hand, noticed.

He also noticed the penises on his sweater. "Hey!" He shouted. "My friend from Canada got me this sweater!"

"Oops." Elizaveta shrugged, grinning a malicious sort of grin.

Two girls at the back of the glass giggled, staring at Roderich.

"Isn't he cute?"

"And smart too.."

"Man, we could really have some fun with him later."

"Sounds like a plan."