Chapter 69

Ludwig snuck down the hallways, stopping in front of the door to lovinos room, pressing his ear to the white wooden door, listening intently and tuning out the noise coming from the living room.

He was speaking in very fast Italian, but from what feliciano had taught him, he was able to catch little snippets of their conversation, a pit of dread starting to build in his stomach.

Roderich Edelstien and Gilbert beilshmidt.

In my house.

Come quickly, I'm in danger.

And from what the operator was saying, Ludwig was almost sure he'd phoned the police.

He leaned away from the door, trying to keep his breathing steady. He had to think. He had to make a plan.

Roderich and Gilbert had to be out of the neighbourhood in ten minutes or less.

Ludwig didn't hesitate whatsoever.

He immediately ran into the spare bedroom his brother and his lover were staying in, thanking the gods that the suitcase was already packed and zipped up. He grabbed that, leaving the small bungalow from the back door in order to escape unnoticed.

He placed their suitcase on the back of his motor cycle, strapping it there and marching back inside to the living room, where people were drinking and laughing.

"Gilbert, Roderich, Can I have a word with you two? In private? Outside?" Ludwig asked, although it sounded more like an order.

Roderich looked over, leaning on his hand. "Why?"

"No questions. Just come with me." He ordered, and Grandpa Vargas let go of Gilbert so he could stumble over.

"What's this about, luddy?" He asked, Roderich practically jogging to keep up as they walked out the front door, down the steps towards the street.

"Don't call me that. Get on the bike and go. Drive as fast and as far as you can and don't look back."

Gilbert squinted suspiciously. "Why?"

"Ludwig, is that your motorcycle?" Roderich asked.

"Yes, but I need you to take it." He insisted, turning his brother around and pushing him towards the bike. "Go. Please, don't make me beg."

"Am I that annoying? Why do we have to leave? Our flight leaves in the morning."

Ludwig sighed loudly and heavily. He pulled the two closer, whispering quickly;

"Lovino called the police about five minutes ago. You only have about five more minutes to get out of here, and that's an estimate. They could show up any moment now. I need you to go."

Gilbert took a moment to take in his surroundings, and the situation. They were in a cul de sac; a small circle of bungalows with only one way to get to them.

Minutes from then, police would be gathered around the house, blocking the only entrance.

Roderich didn't hesitate to grab Gilbert's arm, climbing onto the motor cycle.