Chapter 36

They both walked threw the field, the snow crunching under their boots.

Hand in hand, their breath turning to fog in the cold February air.

Roderich loved to see the stars, and Gilbert loved being with Roderich, so taking a little walk in the field was a sort of win-win for the both of them. Sure, they weren't supposed to be out at that time, but it's not like anyone else was out there.

They stopped once they were in the very centre of the field, away from the trees so they could get a clear look at the sky.

They were away from larger cities, so the light pollution wasn't too bad. The stars shone brightly, the sky a dark sort of blue.

It was beautiful. It was all so beautiful, Roderich just had to stand in awe for a moment.

Gilbert just watched the gorgeous look on Roderichs face, a mixture of happiness and wonder. Roderich may have been 16, but he was probably only about 10 at heart.

"I'm hungry." Gilbert murmured.

Roderich just sighed, reaching into his coat and pulling out a granola bar, which he proceeded to throw at Gilbert, who caught it out of the air with ease and ripped open the package as soon as he had a decent grip on it, taking probably about half the bar into his mouth.

Roderich chuckled slightly. "Honestly, Gilbert, you're almost as bad as albin."

And Gilbert retorted laughingly; "Well, old habits die hard I guess, I had to fight Ludwig for meals all the time, you at least knew you were going to eat everyday."

Roderichs grin faded. "You... You didn't get to eat everyday?"

Gilbert's grin faded, his chest feeling tight. "I've... I've told you about my dad, yeah? How he worked at the closest fast food restaurant. He only made like 59 bucks a day or something. We didn't exactly have much money for food. We already had a hard time paying rent for our little apartment. I had to take on a part time job at the pet store."

Roderich was silent.

"I worked in the bird section." Gilbert smiled slightly. "I would change their newspapers and give them more food. I would comfort them if they got scared, and get them out and put them in smaller cages when they were bought. I was always sad when I had to see them go. They were so cute and kind and loving."

Roderich felt like crying. "Y-you... You didn't..."

"Luddy worked with the puppies. That's why he loves them so much."

Roderich felt as if he'd been stabbed in the chest, and almost fell over. Gilbert wrapped an arm around him, pulling him into his warm embrace. Roderich held him tightly, pressing his face into Gilbert's well-toned chest.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

Roderich hugged Gilbert a little tighter. "You can have half of my allowance if you want. I get a thousand euros a month, so your family would get 500 extra. Would that help?"

Gilbert was almost speechless.

So instead of talking, he just smiled, placing his hands on Roderichs waist and pulling him away from him slightly. He reached behind Roderichs head, untying and slipping off the medical eyepatch which hid his left eye, revealing the scar he'd received. A red mark down his face, right over his eye. And he held the sides of Roderichs face, his thumbs brushing against the boys cheeks, the beautiful sky behind and above them.

"I love you, Roderich..." Gilbert murmured. "For you, I'd go through hell and back."