Chapter 25

The city was dark, snow slowly drifting down onto the already snowy streets. They held hands, their breath turning to fog in the cold air. Roderich had his coat buttoned all the way up, and Gilbert had his sweater zipped up completely, a comfortable silence sitting in between them.

Everything was perfect. The meal had been perfect, even though it was at a cheap Chinese restaurant since it was all that was open. The weather was perfect, not too cold, yet not warm enough for the snow to Melt. The streets were silent and beautiful, the only light coming from the moon and the street lamps.

It was peaceful, beautiful... Perfect.

They held hands, not really as a sign of protectiveness, but because it made Roderich feel safer and Gilbert feel loved.

Gilbert was a very touchy feely person. He loved to be touched. People playing with his hair, holding his hand, running their fingers over his back. He loved the feeling of human touch, he craved the feeling of skin against his. That was why he loved snuggling with Roderich so much- it had the perfect amount of intimacy, touch and warmth, and Roderich loved it too.

They walked together, hand in hand,

Until there were voices, and about five boys came out of an alleyway, Ulz
Leading them. Some smoking, some not.

He looked different. Very different. He had shaved off most of his bleach blond hair, and instead of the uniform he normally wore, he had sagging black pants and a white hoodie. He was not smoking, however, he was laughing and definitely part of the gang.

Gilbert was paralyzed. He was absolutely terrified. Because Ulz's father had anger issues, and definitely wouldn't be happy about Ulz getting kicked out of school. And Ulz liked to blame others for his pain. And punish them for it.

He wanted to run. He knew that was the best option, but his legs refused to move.

That's when Ulz caught sight of them, turning to face them, and stopping the other four boys from walking past. "Hey." Ulz said, in a low, threatening tone. "What are you doing out past curfew?"

Gilbert was about to say something, but Roderich an for him. "It's Christmas, and we were granted special permission to leave campus."

"I know what day it is, dipshit. An I wasn't askin you." He slowly walked closer to Gilbert, Gilbert keeping his ground. "I said, what are you two fags doin off campus?"

"I took Roderich out for diner. On a date. Because he's my boyfriend. Does that make you uncomfortable, Ulz?"

One of the other boys spoke up. "Wait, you tellin me this fag got you kicked out?"

"Yeah." Ulz cracked his knuckles, trying to look intimidating. "He tattled on me like the little baby he is."

"Excuse me? You tried to choke me to death. Even if we hadn't told the principle, I'm sure word would have eventually gotten to a teacher and you would have been expelled anyway." Roderich said, sounding much calmer than he actually was.

"How's your nose, midget dick?" Ulz demanded, stepping right up into Roderichs face.

"Fine, actually. It's healed completely. The only thing different is now there's a small bump on the bridge of my nose." Roderichs neck began to tingle slightly.

Ulz's lips began to curl into smile, and before Roderich actually knew what was happening, he was roughly grabbed by the neck and shoved towards the other boys that were crowded behind Ulz, who threw him to the ground.

Gilbert was terrified. He had absolutely no idea what to do. He had to save Roderich, yes, but he couldn't take on five men single handedly.

Roderich was on the ground, being held there by some of the boys. Gilbert's heart thumped heavily in his ears, panic starting to engulf him, an icy ball of fear forming in his stomach.

"Now that you can't run..." Ulz smirked, and reached into his jacket, slowly pulling out a switchblade. "Why don't we settle the score, once and for all."

While two of the boys held Roderich so he could watch, the other two stood by Ulz.

Roderich knew for a fact that if Gilbert tried to fight them, he would lose. And this time, the consequences would be too great.

And so, he raised his head, making eye contact with Gilbert, who's eyes were as wide as a deer in headlights. And he spoke in English, so the others couldn't understand. "Run, Gilbert. I'll be fine."

Gilbert wasn't one to hesitate.

And so, he turned.

And he ran.

He turned a corner, knocking over a pile of garbage cans, which the others easily jumped. He pumped his arms, breathing heavily, his legs practically on autopilot.

He knew the city like the back of his hand, and he knew for a fact that Ulz did not.

He had a plan that would probably get him killed, but it was better than running to the police station (which was probably about half an hour away by car).

So he ran threw the dark streets, his heavy panting turning to fog in the cold air. He dove into an alleyway, quickly getting back onto his feet and continuing to run, the snow making crunching sounds under his feet.

Meanwhile, there was Roderich. A shout caught in his throat when his wrists were grabbed roughly and he was slammed face first into the brick wall of the alleyway, his arms pinned painfully above his head. He desperately tried to move, but the boys grip was much to strong. "You told him to run, didn't you, you prissy ass aristocrat!"

Roderich desperately tried to keep calm. He couldn't panic. He couldn't show he was scared. His heartbeat was in his ears, his breathing ragged. "No. I told him to stay calm."

He was pulled off the wall and then slammed back into the brick, his head making a sickening sort of bonk against the wall. "Did I say you could talk?!" The boy turned to the other guy. "Tie up his wrists!" He ordered, and the other guy just kind of responded with "but we have no rope!"

The man that was holding him groaned. "Go find some then!"

"Where?"

"I don't care where!"

"But how am I supposed to..."

"Jensen, I really don't care how, just find something!"