Chapter 29

Rumour had it, their history teacher was leaving for maternity leave.

The substitute?

No one had a clue who they'd be getting. All they knew was that he was old. 74 years old.

Everyone was kind of confused on why a guy who was 74 years old hadn't retired yet, but apparently he really, really liked his job. And was very good at the subjects he taught.

And so, Gilbert and Roderichs class sat in anticipation, chattering amongst themselves.

"Do you think he'll be strict?" Elizaveta asked no one in particular. "I don't know if I'll be able to deal with another annoying ass old man."

"I'm sure he's fine, as long as he doesn't move me beside albin I'll be fine."

"What do you have against albin?" Ludwig demanded. "He's a nice guy."

"Are you kidding me? He eats like a horse, he's always picking fights- I could go on forever!"

Gilbert and Roderich sat side by side, Gilbert doing most of the talking.

"I wonder if he's nice." He murmured. "I wonder if he'll give us candy on holidays. I hope he doesn't move me away from you, that'd suck because then I'd have no one to talk to accept maybe Elizaveta or Vash or Ludwig. I wonder what he looks like. What if he's really hot?"

"Gilbert, we're talking about a 74 year old man. He most likely will not fit your definition of attractive."

"Yeah, but still. What if he's really ugly? What if he smells like baby powder or wears diapers... Ew, that'd be weird."

There was a sudden outburst of laughter from a group of girls across the room, catching Roderichs attention.

Gilbert just kind of frowned, slipping Roderich glasses off his face and onto his own, careful not to touch the eyepatch Roderich had on. "Do you ever look at girls and sigh because you're really gay, like really really fucking gay?"

"Yeah, actually." Elizaveta chuckled from behind them.

Then there was a silence, and kind of confused, Gilbert looked around to find the cause. Then he realized that was because the teacher had strut in, and was now leaning on the front desk.

He had long, white hair that was pulled back into a loose ponytail by a bow, his eyes sort of a light bluish green. He wore fancier clothing, and had a higher sort of air about him, giving off the same sort of vibes that Roderich did.

"You don't have to go all silent like that, it's fine for you to keep taking. I just would like you to know that my name is Frederick Hohenzollern, but you can call me Mr. Hohen. I'll be your history teacher, I do believe. You can go back to talking now, I have to clean up this desk anyway. It's a complete disaster."

Gilbert was kind of in awe. This guy was weird. He raised his hand slowly, already on his mission to test this Mr. Hohen's patience.

Hohen looked up at Gilbert, kind of confused. "Yes, what would you like? You don't have to raise your hand like that, just don't talk while others are speaking."

"Can I call you old fritz?"

Roderich elbowed Gilbert hard in the stomach, sort of knocking the wind out of him, shooting him a nasty glare. If looks could kill, Gilbert would be a pile of molecules.

The room was once again silent, but only for a moment, before Mr. Hohen let out a soft chuckle. "Go right ahead, my boy. Now, what's your name?"

"It's Gilbert." He said, and then pointed to Roderich, who was sort of just staring at Gilbert in awe. "And this is Roderich."

Old Fritz smiled, the corners of his eyes wrinkling slightly, showing he'd smiled a lot in his lifetime. "It's a pleasure to meet you both."

Gilbert was still confused. Usually, teacher didn't like him at all. This guy was nice- too nice. Almost nicer than Mrs. Gamester.

And that- that was a feat in itself.