Chapter 49

When it was finally morning and the sun has risen, Gilbert had not yet returned. And so, Roderich got up, dressed himself and brushed his teeth, Getting ready as usual before he went over to old Fritz's room.

He hesitated for a moment, contemplated just going back to his room.

And then he knocked in their special pattern so that Gilbert knew it was him.

The door opened slightly, old Fritz appearing in the crack.

"Can I speak to Gilbert?" Roderich asked, his voice hoarse and broken. "Please?"

"Give us a moment please." Old Fritz murmured, closing the door slowly.

Roderich waited five minutes, then ten, and after what felt like forever, the door creaked open, and Gilbert stood in the doorway.

His hair was a mess, his eyes and nose red. He was wrapped in a blanket, and sort of looked like a tall and muscular toddler. He sniffled slightly, pouting. "You wanted to talk to me?"

Roderich almost broke down at the sight of him. Despite that, he desperately tried to keep his voice level, fighting back tears as he spoke. "I... It really wasn't what it looked like." He whispered. "S-she... Katherin brought me upstairs to tell me that she loved me... Before I could tell her that w-we were dating she started kissing me a-and I didn't have the willpower to fight against it. When I finally gathered the courage to stop her, you had walked in a-and it was too late." Roderich looked down at his feet, ashamed of his own actions. "I-I'm... I know... It is useless to say sorry. A simple word won't fix this."

Gilbert stayed silent.

"I-I understand if you don't want to date me..." Roderich whispered, his voice almost shaking. "B-but please, just give me a chance. N-not having you for a single night has made me realize how lonely I am and how much I rely on you. I-I love you, no matter what it looks like, I love you and I should have told you that more often when you were mine. I know I don't deserve you, Gilbert, and I know there's no replacing what we've lost, but just give me a chance, that would be enough."

Roderich looked up, not able to hold the tears back any longer.

"Please, just let me stay here by your side. That would be enough."

Gilbert stepped forward, dropping the blanket.

And he grabbed Roderichs hands, holding them gently in his own, and looking Roderich in the eyes.

And what Roderich saw almost made him break down sobbing.

Forgiveness.

Gilbert stepped forwards, gently pulling Roderich into him, holding him close and resting his chin on Roderichs shoulder.

"I overreacted, didn't I..." Gilbert whispered. "Shit, I'm sorry."

And then Roderich did break down, sobbing and letting everything out, resting his chin on Gilbert's shoulder. Gilbert joined him only seconds after, tears streaming down his face at a steady pace.

Gilbert gave the blanket back to old Fritz, thanking him and escorting Roderich back to their room.

Roderich was tired. Both emotionally and physically. And even though he wouldn't admit it, Gilbert was too.

And so, Gilbert collapsed onto the clean bed that he'd slept in only hours before, this time happily pulling Roderich on top of him.

Roderich reached up, holding Gilbert's face with a tender gentleness that Gilbert didn't believe him capable of, carefully wiping away the tears with his thumbs, a faint smile upon his tear stained face. "I love you. Please never think other wise of me. I love you unconditionally."

Gilbert held Roderich tight in his warm embrace, leaving soft kisses on his collarbone and neck, lower jaw and cheeks, caressing his soft skin and carefully unbuttoning Roderichs shirt and sliding it off his body. He ran his hands over Roderichs smooth skin, his chest, his shoulders, his collar and his neck, running his lips and tongue over generally sensitive areas, leaving marks here and there.

Roderich giggled under Gilbert's touch, the soft and warm feeling of his fingertips and lips so soft and amusing.

"I love you." Gilbert whispered, planting a soft kiss upon Roderichs jaw.

Roderich hummed in content, smiling softly and running his fingers threw Gilbert's hair. "I love you too..." He whispered into Gilbert's ear, his eyes closed, enveloped by the pure bliss he was feeling.