Chapter 34

History was Gilbert's new favourite subject.

Because old Fritz made it fun.

He made jokes, he engaged the class, they played games and if they had finished their work early they could do whatever they wanted as long as they didn't kill someone.

Which was what was Happening at that moment.

Most of the class was chatting amongst themselves, Elizaveta reading a book and Ludwig drawing puppies on a spare piece of paper. Roderich and Gilbert sat beside each other, as usual, hand in hand, exchanging small talk.

"Hey, rod. I got a life hack, wanna hear it?"

Roderich smiled slightly. "Alright." He coughed into his arm before Gilbert started talking.

"If your husband keeps eating your kids just replace one of them with a rock and he'll choke on it. Then when that kid grows up he'll force your husband to throw up all his brothers and sisters and use his new divine army to overthrow him and his bullshit friends." He murmured. "Life hack."

And then Roderich laughed. He actually laughed, a rare thing to see, as the most you could get out of him most days was a soft chuckle or a smile. The sound was crisp and clear in Gilbert's ears, so beautiful he thought he could cry.

And the Roderich just kind of started wheezing and coughing, his face going pale and his eyes widening. "G-Gilbert-" he managed to croak. "Gilbert I-"

His chest and throat seemed to tighten, and his shortness of breath evoking an anxiety attack.

"G-Gilbert- I can't breath very well-!" His voice was quiet, and he was almost whispering, his ragged breaths making a raspy sort of noise.

Gilbert was almost as panicked as Roderich.

"Fritz-!" Gilbert shouted, and old fritz dropped his book.

"What?"

"Get your ass the fuck over here he can't breath properly help please I don't know anything about medical stuff!"

Old fritz stood up quickly, maneuvering his way threw the desks and up to Roderich, who was full out panicking. He eyed the boy for a moment before gently pressing circles into Roderichs neck with his fingers. "Gilbert, I want you to call an ambulance."

"Wait-What?!"

"He's having an asthma attack. It won't go away untreated, and It might get worse. Do you want him to die?"

Gilbert could barely think threw the cold, choking terror that gripped him tightly.

"I said," old fritz looked angry and grim. "Do you want him to die?"

Gilbert shook his head no, forcing down his fear and grabbed his phone out of his pocket. He could do this. He had to do this. Roderichs life was at stake.

But when he was on the keypad, cold terror froze his blood in terrified confusion. "What am I even supposed to..."

"Gilbert." Roderich murmured, barely a whisper. "Please. I don't want to die. Not yet. I know you can do this."

Gilbert held the phone with shaking hands, his heartbeat loud in his ears.

The class was silent, just watching.

If Roderich didn't survive... Gilbert felt almost violently ill at the thought.

He dialled the numbers 112, holding the phone to his head.

"This is 112, what is your emergency?"

"M-my boyfriend is having an asthma attack."

"Alright, try to stay calm. Where are the two of you located?"

"B-BlackForest academy... Room 167. Main campus."

"Help should be arriving soon. Is he still breathing?"

Gilbert glanced up at Roderich, who's lips were turning blue, his raspy breathing laboured and his wheezing getting louder.

"More or less."

"Have him sit up straight. Does he have an inhaler?"

"No, no I don't think anything like this has ever happened. He doesn't have a puffer, and I don't think he's ever had asthma before now. I mean, he gets shortness of breath easily, but it's never this bad and all that happened was he laughed..."

"Have him sit up straight, and try to take slow, steady breaths. Does any one around have an inhaler?"

He pulled away from the phone for a moment, his heart beating out of his chest. "Does anyone have an inhaler?"

No one spoke up.

He pressed the phone to his head again, his eyes stinging slightly, which made him Angry. "No one has a puffer."

"The ambulance should be in soon."

"Thank you..." He murmured, and pulled away from the phone again. "Sit up straight, take deep breaths. It's going to be okay, everything has to be okay..."

He was more talking to himself than Roderich.

He kneeled in front of Roderich, who's eyes were wide with panic, sitting up as straight as he could and attempting to bring in deep breaths. Gilbert held his hands carefully, locking eyes with Roderich.

"It's okay. Everything will be okay."

Then there were sirens, and Gilbert was shocked into silence. He'd never been filled with such a strong sense of relief in his life. He looked up at Roderich, who had closed his eyes, looking almost as relieved as Gilbert. His chest heaved up and down, his wheezing still loud.

Then Roderichs chest tightened even more, and he could no longer breathe.

His eyes opened wide, and Gilbert automatically knew that something was wrong.

"Roderich? Roderich are you okay?" He demanded.

Roderich, of course, could no longer speak, and the world was swimming in front of his eyes, his head feeling airy.

He thought he was going to die. He actually thought he was going to die. His heart pounded in his chest, his eyes as big as the moon at nine in the afternoon. ((A/n: I'm not sorry)) yellow dots began appearing in front of his eyes, and his limbs became heavy.

And so, out of sheer desperation and sadness, he grabbed the sides of Gilbert's face and pressed their lips together, only for a small, fleeting moment. Then they separated, and Roderich stood up quickly, almost falling down. Gilbert understood almost automatically, picking him up with he help of old fritz and moving as fast as they could with Roderich in their arms.

Roderich just watched Gilbert's face, a small smile upon his lips. If this would be his last moment, at least he had something pretty as a last memory.