Chapter 57

Once again, Gilbert found himself in the hospital. This time, by Roderichs side.

He was sort of halfway on the bed, as usual, leaning on his hand and just sort of sitting in silence. In his free hand he held Roderichs, which was limp, but still warm and comfortable and soft.

Gilbert couldn't stop he tears from running down his face. He'd promised himself he wouldn't come back, but he couldn't stop himself. This might be the last time he ever saw Roderich.

Gilbert couldn't believe what was before him. It didn't matter that I'd been six months. He still couldn't believe that his beautiful Roderich had wandered out into the woods and been sent into a coma.

And the last thing they did was fight.

He could barely breath he was so overwhelmed with guilt. His gut seemed to wrench with the painful feeling, his heart feeling cold, adrenalin seeming to pump threw his veins, as a sudden burst of energy made him want to jump out the second story window and hope for death.

All he wanted was to apologize for being so immature and stubborn.

"I can't believe I killed old Fritz and my gay boyfriend." He seemed to whisper out loud, tears streaming down his face, his heart filled with pure regret.

He covered his face with the hand he'd been leaning on, attempting to wipe away the steady stream of tears.

"Why are you crying?" A weak, scratchy voice asked quietly.

Gilbert didn't believe it. After six long months of grief and guilt, he must've gone insane. His heart pounded so hard in his chest, he was almost worried I'd break his ribs. Pure and utter bone-numbing shock seemed to radiate threw his entire body. This just didn't feel real. He must be dreaming.

Roderichs warm hand wrapped around Gilbert's, gentle and caring. "Gilbert, tell me why you're crying."

Gilbert pulled his hand away from his face slowly, hesitantly peaking at Roderich.

Roderich was awake. He had his eyes open, his beautiful purple eyes bright and alive and almost startling.

And Gilbert promptly started sobbing. This time from pure happiness and relief.

Roderich swore under his breath. "I'm in a hospital? What day is it? Have I missed any classes? Are there any homework assignments? Oh goodness, I'm so hungry..."

Gilbert couldn't even speak through his sobbing, his chest shaking with every gasping breath he took. Roderich, now somewhat concerned, let go of Gilbert's shaking hand, sitting up properly and grabbing both sides of his face. "Please stop crying. Your nose is running like a tap, and your eyes are all bloodshot. It's not a pretty sight."

Gilbert reached up and held Roderichs hands in his own, an exhilarating feeling of pure bliss completely destroying any other emotion he'd ever felt.

Roderich rubbed his thumb over Gilbert's cheek. "When was the Last time you shaved? You've practically got a beard." Roderich chuckled.

Gilbert somehow managed to get his wracking sobs under control, sniffling and breathing heavily. "I think... A week." He whispered.

Roderich smiled slightly. "Ugh, my throat is so raw... I feel like I haven't drank anything for a month."

"It's... It's six, actually..." Gilbert whispered, sniffling slightly and rubbing his nose on his sleeve.

Roderichs eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

"You've... You haven't properly drank anything in six months."

Roderich was quiet for a moment, his playful aura gone completely. He looked grim.

"Y-you mean... I've..."

"You've been in a coma for six months, yeah..."

Roderich looked horrified, then sad. A mixture of emotions seemed to rage threw him all at once, and then his eyes started to water and he couldn't hold back the tears. He covered his mouth, leaning back into the pillows, and Gilbert held his hand tightly, fearing that if he let it go, he'd loose him again.

"I'm sorry." Gilbert whispered. "I'm so, so sorry... And the last thing we did was fight, I... I'm so sorry, Rod..."

"No, no, don't apologize, it's not your fault. It's... It's Micha's and Isabel's."

"...what?"

"My last memory. I was out for a walk, since I was bored and knew you wouldn't be back for a while. I went into the woods, and encountered them both. They jumped me, and pinned me down, and here I am now, six months later..."

Pure murderous rage pumped threw Gilbert's veins. "They did this?"

Roderich pursed his lips. "I'm sorry. Please don't get mad. I don't have the patience to deal with you right now. Can you just go get a nurse so we can get out of here? I want you to come over to my house."

Gilbert just blinked for a moment. "Why?"

"I want you to live with me. Your house doesn't sound like a very safe environment, and we have lots of space. As long as your father pays for
your schooling everything should work. I can pay for your food, I can pay for your clothing, just please, please come with me."

Gilbert was crying again. Accept this time, his chest didn't heave up and down, and his breathing was generally normal. He didn't wrack with shaking sobs, and his voice didn't crack when he spoke.

Tears ran down his face, and he climbed onto the bed with Roderich, grabbing ahold of the boy and squeezing him right to his chest in a tight hug.

"Thank you..." He whispered. "Thank you so much..."

Roderich rested his chin on Gilbert's shoulder, holding Gilbert in his arms.

"How is Hohenzollern doing? Is he still comatose?" Roderich whispered, and Gilbert almost broke down sobbing once more.

"He's dead." Gilbert whispered. "August seventeenth. That was yesterday."

"I'm sorry. That must have been hard on you." Roderich whispered, nuzzling Gilbert's neck.

Gilbert was once again happy. His life was perfect again, and Roderich was perfect, and what he was doing felt perfect. And Roderich felt so warm and welcoming and was so kind and beautiful that Gilbert couldn't breath.

"I love you." Gilbert whispered.