Chapter 10

Roderich was both confused and angry.

Ulz got expelled for getting in a fight and Isabel and Micha got a detention for attempting to rape him.

That just wasn't right.

And no matter how much he protested, no one believed him, because he was a boy, and "boys don't get raped".

The only reason they were getting a detention in the first place was because he had bruising on his wrists from the rope and Gilbert had yelled at the right people.

And so he laid in his bed, staring at the ceiling, his purple duvet pulled up to his neck, Gilbert doing what he usually did at night.

"Hey, do you think penguins have knees?"

"How many times must I tell you... Penguins do in fact have knees, they're just hidden."

Gilbert was silent for a second.

"Do you think Justin Trudeau is hot?" He asked. "Luddy keeps tryin 'a tell me he's not."

"I'm... Probably not the best person to ask that question..." Roderich murmured. "But... I guess he is attractive. Especially for a man his age."

Gilbert yawned. "You sure do have a big vocabulary."

"Well, I... I do tend to read quite a bit."

"What's your favourite book?"

"U-um..." Gilbert couldn't possibly expect him to pick one, could he? "Maybe... Percy Jackson and the Olympians? You know, the entire series... Or the fault in our stars...?"

"Aren't those American books?"

"Yes."

"Hm..."

"You're getting tired, aren't you, Gil?"

"Yep..."

Roderich smiled slightly.

"Hey..." Gilbert whispered. "Are you... Are you actually okay? That must have been a scary experience... You know, getting jumped and almost raped..."

"It wasn't as scary as seeing someone almost drown in front of my eyes."

"...I... I wasn't underwater that long, was I?"

"Well, I..." Roderich wasn't sure how to word what he wanted to say. "It looks like you were drowning. I... I saw you just kind of underwater, bubbles coming to the surface. And I... I thought to myself, 'how many more times must I watch my friends die'? And... I kind of have a fear of water and water animals, but that doesn't mean I can't swim, so... I faced my fears, jumping in after you."

"...that's..." Gilbert seemed kind of speechless.

"I've always sort of had a fear of water... The thought of drowning gives me reoccurring nightmares, but... Losing my friends scares me even more."

Gilbert sat up, watching Roderich with a look of sympathy. "Y...you..."

Roderich sat up, but didn't look at Gilbert, keeping his eyes on his feet. "...I'm sorry, did I say too much?"