Chapter 60

"Why can't I come with you?" Roderich demanded, crossing his arms and standing between Gilbert and the door.

"Awe, come on, rod-"

"Why can't I come?"

"Like I said, it's a family reunion thing, it's not safe."

"Then why are you going?"

"To see my family!"

"Then why can't I come? It's about time I meet your father!"

Gilbert attempted to push past him, but Roderich just smacked him away.

Gilbert groaned in frustration. "Look, half of my family is made up of drug dealers and the other half are homophobes. It's not safe for you to be there. It's risky enough that I'm going. I'll be back in exactly four hours or sooner. If I'm not, call the police, okay?"

Roderich frowned.

"And... I won't bother you the next time you're practicing piano. We got a deal?"

Roderich seemed to light up a bit, but didn't relax at all. "Fine. But only if you don't bother me the next ten times I'm practicing piano. I need to practice, I have a concert coming up."

"Deal. Can you move now?"

Roderich bit his lip, but stepped to the side anyway, and Gilbert swung open the door, stopping in the doorway. "Bye, Rod. Stay safe, okay? I'll be back before you know it."

The door shut, and Roderich was left standing in silence, with an exception of the cleaning woman, who was vacuuming upstairs.

"Eyyyy, Roddy..." A drunken grumble came from the other room, and before long, his father stumbled into the entryway, a bottle of tequila in his hand. "Can ye do me a favour?"

Roderich rolled his eyes, trying to ignore his newly unsteadying heart rate. "Yes, father?"

"Can ye get me another bottle?" He motioned for Roderich to take the empty bottle from him, leaning against the wall for support. "Make yourself useful fer once."

Roderich dropped his arms, shooting him a glare. "No."

"Come on, Roddy... Be a good boy 'n get me s'more tequila."

"I said no." Roderich spat, his stomach seeming to go cold. He shoved down his fear. he would not let his father push him around any longer.

Adolph stepped forward, and Roderich took a step backwards.

"Hey... Why you backin away? You scared of me?" Adolph chuckled, flashing an almost terrifying grin. "Why don't ya bring me me another bottle, ye useless pile a shit?"

Roderich almost jumped as his back touched the wall, his heart in his throat. His eyes were wide with fear, a sudden bloom of heat seeming to spread across his body, and he broke out in sweat. "N-no."

"Awe, Roddy. Quit being such a lil' bitch and just get me another bottle. It ain't that hard." Adolph reached forward with his free hand, only for Roderich to smack his hand away.

Roderich immediately regretted that decision.

Adolph, in retaliation, swung the empty bottle at Roderichs head, only for him to duck and slip out the now open door, closing it behind him and sprinting towards the gardening shed as fast as he could possibly move.