Chapter 23

He ran across the fields, which was hard because the grass was slippery from the rain. He practically knocked down the lobby doors, ripping off his shoes and bolting up the stairs, leaving Vash and albin (who were sitting in the lounge) very confused.

He rapped on the door in the special pattern they had, his heart light and his mind racing.

Roderich opened it slowly, looking up at Gilbert with an innocent and curious sort of look. "You're back early? I thought you were staying late to help Gamester with cleanup."

Gilbert pushed inside, and Roderich closed the door behind him. "I... I need to talk to you, okay? Sit down or something."

Roderich was confused, but despite that he kept quiet sat down on his purple duvet, crossing his legs. "Yes?"

Gilbert turned and faced him, his heart racing and his breathing uneven.

Gilbert was scared. He was scared, because he was so clueless. He didn't know if Roderich likes him in that way, and he was hesitant to ask, because there was always a chance of rejection.

Gilbert wanted Roderich. He wanted Roderich so badly it hurt. He wanted to hold Roderich, he wanted to kiss him, protect him from all danger. He wanted to tell Roderich everything, how much he loved him, how much he loved his differences and perfections. Because Gilbert loved everything about Roderich. He could do the simplest things- make a cup of coffee, play the piano, tap his pencil against his chin because he was thinking hard, and Gilbert could find a thousand things he loved.

And he wanted to tell him. He wanted to tell him everything.

He took in a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "Can I sit with you?"

"Sure?" Roderich was still very confused, his deep purple eyes shining in the light which drifted in threw the window from the setting sun.

Gilbert sat down across from Roderich, crossing his legs and pursing his lips slightly. "Roderich, I..."

"Please don't tell me you're leaving for Christmas break." Roderich whispered. "You know how horrible I am in social situations, and what about fights? I almost got choked to death once, if I'm remembering correctly. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here. I won't last a day without you, please don't leave me."

Gilbert could almost laugh. "N-no! No, it's not that, it's just, I..." He bit his lip, his stomach twirling into knots. "That song I sang? It was for you. L-look, I love you, and it's okay if you don't like me back. I can't make you love me, I can't make you feel things, I can't force something that isn't there. But something tells me you feel the same, and I think that's why this is so scary."

He took a deep breath, closing his eyes tightly. "Despite the fact I'm so scared I could shit my pants, here I sit, in front of you, asking you to take a chance on loving me. You can trust me, I'll give you my best, I'll love you more than life itself. I'll show you what you deserve. You deserve someone to love you, you deserve someone who enhances your life and makes you happier. I want to be that person, because it hurts me so much to see you sad..."

His eyes were watering up, and he was even more terrified of his voice cracking. He couldn't look pathetic. He couldn't look weak. He was Gilbert beilshmidt- the gay albino who would pick a fight with anyone. He had to stay strong.

"Please tell me you feel this too. Please, please just give me a chance. I've never really loved before and I'll probably treat you badly but please, please just give me a fragment of a chance to win your heart."

He felt a tear glide down his pale cheek and onto his lap, and then there was a hand holding the side of his face. A soft, warm and delicate hand that wiped away his tears.

Roderich was angry at himself. He didn't know what to say, or how to say it. He wanted something, but he couldn't explain it. His fingers tingled with warmth as they traced over Gilbert's cheek bone and jawline, and eventually up into his hair. He was just about to lose control and fall into Him when Gilbert grabbed him and pulled him closer until their bodies were pressed together.

Roderich almost gasped at the perfect feeling. This, this was what he wanted. Gilbert's hand snaked to the back of his head, pulling Roderichs face into his chest, his fingers tangled in Roderichs beautiful chocolate brown hair. Roderich didn't hesitate to press into the warmth that was Gilbert's well toned body, Gilbert resting his free arm around Roderichs waist.

Roderichs spine tingled, his pulse racing, his entire body filled with an unfamiliar exhilarating anticipation. Nothing else existed. They sat in their own little corner of the world, just feeling each other breath. And everything stayed like that, until Roderich just couldn't take it. He wanted something, he wanted it so badly he felt lost without it.

It took him a few minutes to realize, but being the smart boy he was, it wasn't hard for him to figure it out.

"Gilbert... I want you to kiss me." Roderich murmured, his heart thumping with anticipation.

For a few short moments, Gilbert was in shock. Bone numbing shock that seemed to erase any form of communication from his mind. He sat there for a moment, his eyes wide, and the tears running faster.

Roderich pulled his face out of Gilbert's chest, blinking and staring into Gilbert's beautiful red eyes. "Please."

Gilbert didn't wait long. He sat up properly, looking as nervous as he could be. "O-okay, uh-" he gently pulled off Roderichs glasses, folding them up carefully and setting them on his bedside table. "Are you... Are you sure?"

"Did I fucking stutter?" Roderich dead panned.

Then Gilbert gently placed a hand on the back of Roderichs neck, and for a moment, seemed to forget how to breath. His stomach turned into a fluttering mess, and the world around them faded.

Then Roderich got impatient, and with a shuddering gasp he grabbed the sides of Gilbert's face and yanked him forward, pressing their lips together.

Gilbert closed his eyes as their lips met, and he was fairly sure he was melting. The press of Roderichs lips against his was warm and passionate, and not hesitant at all. And then Roderich pulled away slightly, and he whispered;

"Breathe."

Gilbert just blinked for a moment, until he realized his chest was tingling, and he had been holding his breath.

Gilbert nodded, laughing shakily, snaking his hands to the back of Roderichs head and pulling him back.

Gilbert's chest soared as Roderich made small sounds against his lips, wrapping his arms around his neck.

Finally, Roderich knew what he wanted.

He wanted Gilbert. He wanted Gilbert like this. He leant into the dizzying, exhilarating feeling of Gilbert holding him, surrounding him.

They held each other so tightly they could barely breath. Gilbert ran his fingers threw Roderichs hair, sending shivers down his spine. Their skin burned, and the room was stiflingly hot.

The kiss slowed, and Gilbert opened his eyes slightly, pulling back. They lost track of time, just staring at each other, their lips barely touching, Roderich now on Gilbert's lap, arms still wrapped around his neck. Gilbert kept his hand firm on Roderich waist, their breath mingling between them.

"I love you." Roderich whispered.

Gilbert gasped slightly and kissed him again, this time short and firm, but also breathtaking and gentle. And when their lips parted once more, Gilbert whispered a soft, "I love you." In return.