Chapter 4

The three of them sat in the principles office, Gilbert and Ulz with bags of ice pressed to their heads and Roderich with a scarf and a bag of ice pressed to his nose. His glasses had gotten broken, so of course he wasn't wearing them.

Mr. Anstruther sighed. "Explain to me... What exactly happened? Roderich, you first."

Roderich took a deep breath before starting, explaining the entire story.
"Me and Gilbert were peacefully eating our lunches, when this juvenile delinquent came over and called Gilbert a slang word for homosexual." Roderich sounded strange, as his nose was kind of broken. He told the entire story, not leaving out any little details at all.

"Thank you. Gilbert? Is this correct?"

"Yeah..."

"Ulz?"

He just glared at Gilbert.

Mr. Anstruther sighed once more. "Thank you. Gilbert, Roderich, you boys can go back to your dorms."

Roderich was taken aback. "What? But it's in the middle of the school day!"

"You both need to rest."

"Roddy, just listen to him..."

"That is not my name!"

Gilbert stood up, thanking Mr. Anstruther and walking to the door, waiting for Roderich.

Roderich let out a sigh of defeat. "Will this make a large dent in my record?"

"No, Roderich. You'll be fine. I would worry more about your nose."

"Thank you." He stood up, pushing in his chair. "Oh, and.. Um... I received a detention from Mr. Falconie. Should I still attend?"

"Don't worry about it."

Roderich followed Gilbert out into the hallway, closing the door behind them.

Roderich had a small nagging at the back of his head. He wanted to ask why he had such a bad relationship with Ulz, but he didn't want to seem nosy.

No. You're part of this now too, you deserve to know.

He took a deep breath before clearing his throat. "Gilbert..."

He stopped, but didn't turn. "Yeah?"

"Why does Ulz have such a disliking for you?"

Gilbert was silent for a moment.

"Why do you talk like that?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why do you talk like that? All fancy... It's weird. And your German is different. Sometimes it's harder to understand what you're saying."

"You never answered my question..."

"I will once were back in the dorm. Anyway, it's because you're Austrian, right? What's Austria like?" Gilbert started walking again, and Roderich jogged to catch up, only slowing down once he was beside him again.

"It's beautiful. I can show you pictures if you'd like. I took so many in the last year... Mostly because I knew it'd probably be the last time I ever saw that country."

"Why?"

"Well, my father owns a company that makes pianos, and because of that he moves around a lot... The company isn't allowed to do anything in Austria anymore, so I can't go back... I get sent to boarding schools for most of the year, anyway..."

"That must be really hard for you."

"Not really... I've never really had a normal life, so... I guess I'm used to it."