Chapter 30

Ever since Roderich was little, he loved the sky.

The colourful, vast, beautiful sky.

He'd just always loved everything about it. So bright and colourful, yet dark and mysterious. And he loved to lay in the grass, just staring up at the slow moving clouds, the bright blue sky. He especially loved watching sunsets- the brilliant colours fading into a soft yet dark blue, so dark it was black, as the sun sank slowly into the mountains.

He especially loved it when Sarah or his mother would lay with him, and they would have pointless conversations about tiny things. Roderich would ask questions almost constantly, so most people called him annoying, but instead, Sarah and his mother always tried to answer them as best as they could, even if they didn't know the answer.

Everything changed when his mother moved away, and when they had to fire sarah. Everything changed when they moved to Germany. But one thing always stayed the same- the sky.

That was why he loved it so much. The beauty never faded, and it was always there, no matter where he traveled to.

That's why it was even more blissful just to lay down in the middle of the field, his soft and thin fingers entwined carefully with Gilbert's calloused and scared ones.

It was different with only one eye, but it was still beautiful.

The sky was dark, as it was night, and it was the middle of winter, so they were cold, but neither of them really cared. Roderich had water proof pants on, along with a thick winter coat and boots. Gilbert had a rain jacket over top of a sweater, along with garbage bags over top of his pants and sneakers.

They both laid in the snow, a comfortable silence over the two of them, their hands entwined together and their breathing even.

That's when there was a small noise, faint at first, which Roderich had trouble recognizing. He'd heard it before, but he couldn't point out where.

Gilbert bolted upwards, letting go of Roderichs hand, standing up quickly.

Roderich sat up slowly, looking around in confusion.

Gilbert spoke slowly, as if he was reliving memories. "I know that sound..."

Roderich tried to compress the panic he felt, as he wasn't sure why he felt it in the first place. "What? What is it?"

The faint noise became a distinct chirping. Just as Roderich realized, Gilbert spoke.

"It's a canary. Male. Probably someone's pet... Why is it here?" He murmured to himself.

Roderich was kind of in awe. "How could you possibly know that from just a faint chirping..."

Gilbert raised his hand, as if to silence Roderich. "Shut up. Now."

Roderich shut his open mouth, offended.

Gilbert listened intently, looking around for the small canary.

Roderich stood up slowly, and Gilbert turned towards the forest, his breath seeming to catch in his throat. "He's in there."

They both stood about ten meters away from the forest, Roderichs heart beating almost as fast as Gilbert's.

"I'm going in." Gilbert murmured. "He sounds like he's in distress."

"Are you sure you're up for it? We haven't been in that forest since you fell in the river."