Chapter 65

Gilbert held Roderich in his arms, tears running down his face.

Roderich was fine. Roderich was breathing, had a pulse, and was no longer bleeding.

And that was why Gilbert was crying. Because only moments before, Roderich wasn't fine. Roderich wasn't breathing, had no pulse, and had bled out enough for him to die.

Let's rewind a bit.

Roderich had to refrain from screaming in pain, instead letting out a loud groan as he bit down on his finger.

"I'm sorry." Gilbert whispered. "At least I got it out this time." Gilbert held up the bloodied bullet, Inspecting it carefully.

This was where Gilbert had gone wrong. Removing the bullet caused damage to Roderichs circulatory system, (an iliac artery, to be exact), which caused him to bleed out in a matter of minutes.

"It'll be fine, I promise." Roderich whispered. "Am I bleeding a lot? Or has the bleeding stopped?"

"I don't want to panic you, but you're bleeding a lot... It hasn't gotten near stopping...." Gilbert murmured, desperately trying to keep his lunch in his stomach. Now was not a good time to faint at the sight of blood.

"Clean it up as much as you can, then grab a needle and thread... C-Can you wipe the needle off before you start? Just with an anti-bacterial wipe or something..."

Roderich chest heaved up and down with every breath he took, his mind starting to go hazy.

No. No he had to focus. He had to live threw this.

He propped himself up on his elbows, blinking furiously and attempting to steady his vision, focusing on Gilbert. The sight of his own bloody side made him even more dizzy, and he could feel his heart become unsteady. His head felt heavy, and he was weak.

"Gilbert, I want you to call an ambulance..."

"Are you crazy?! We're runaways!"

"Gilbert, I-I think that bullet did hit something major... And if the bleeding hasn't stopped yet, I..."

"We can't call an ambulance! Roderich, we'd- I'd-"

And then Roderich fell back, his eyes sliding shut as he lost consciousness.

Gilbert, of course, went into a panic. He'd never done anything medical accept put Bandaids on Ludwigs booboos, how was he supposed to save Roderich from bleeding out?

He pulled off his sweater, pressing it into Roderichs side, leaning on his hands with all his weight.

He had to stop the bleeding. He couldn't just let Roderich die.

However, his attempts were almost useless. Roderichs pale figure laid limp in the back of the car, his breathing becoming shallower each second, his chest almost refusing to rise.

And then his chest stopped rising all together.

"No..." Gilbert whispered, reaching forward as if in a trance, cupping the side of Roderichs face.

Gilbert was clueless. He knew almost nothing about first aid to begin with- how was he supposed to get Roderich to start breathing again?