Chapter 12

We often want things so badly that we ruin them before they begin. Overthinking. Fantasizing. Imagining. Expecting. Worrying. Doubting.

Gilbert was trying desperately not to do that with his relationship with Roderich. He desperately wanted to ask Roderich out, to confess his love, but it was much to early for that. And he kept thinking and thinking and thinking, and he wanted to stop thinking, as when things actually happened, he didn't want to get broken.

Gilbert was very glad he was kind of close with Mrs. Gamester, as he didn't exactly have a car. Her on the other hand, she did. And she trusted Gilbert enough too lend it to him.

Which was how the two of them got to the theatre. Gilbert driving, of course, Roderich passenger seat driving and Gilbert swearing under his breath.

Then they made it to the theatre. There weren't very many people there, which both of them were thankful for. Gilbert was happy that they would get a theatre mostly to themselves, and Roderich was happy that his coupons were still valid.

Gilbert was also happy about how normal they looked. Just two teenage Boys, going to see a movie on the weekend.

Gilbert got a bag of popcorn and a pop, and Roderich had a flask filled with tea in his coat pocket. The halls were fairly empty, therefor it wasn't hard to hear the familiar voice behind the two of them.

At first, Roderich thought he was hearing things. Then he turned around, and wished he was hearing things.

Because there was his father, arguing with the woman behind the till.

"No." Seemed to slip from his lips, and Gilbert turned, confused. Then he saw the man, tall and lanky, pale, with longer blond hair and startlingly blue eyes. He looked nothing like Roderich, but somehow he knew that it was his father.

Roderich was quick to grab Gilbert by the collar, pulling him into the bathroom with such speed Gilbert almost gasped.

"Shhh!" Roderich pressed a finger to his lips, a fearful and sort of stern look on his face.

Gilbert set his popcorn and drink down carefully on the counter, Roderich pacing nervously.

"What do you think he'll do if he sees you?" Gilbert Asked, leaning against the counter.

"Probably cause a scene, as he loves attention."

Gilbert watched Roderich pace nervously. "What should we do?"

"We... I could hide in here until he leaves, or... Or we could try to sneak past him."

"Or you could confront him."

Roderich stopped, looking at Gilbert as if he had three heads. "What?"

"You could confront him. Tell him how you really feel about him."

"No."

"Listen, Roderich, this is your dad were talking about. You can't just live the rest of your life in fear of him."

"Why do you care?"

Gilbert sighed. "Look. He's not going to change his behaviour on his own, okay? You're going to be stuck with him until you leave for college. And this is your father- the person you share 50% of your dna with. If he's not gonna smarten up and start actin like a father, then make him."