Chapter 48

When Gilbert woke up, he was cold.

Accept, he wasn't wet. And it wasn't windy. And the sound of cars zooming by didn't surround him.

No, he was cold because he had accidentally kicked the covers off of himself, and was laying in his boxers on the bed. The room, of course, was cold like Roderich liked it. Although, Roderich was on the messy bed, facing the window.

Gilbert sat up mostly out of confusion on how he got there. Last time he checked, he was sitting in an alleyway in the heart of the city. But no, instead he was back in their hotel room, sitting on the clean white sheets in nothing but boxers.

Why? How? Who? His mind was racing with questions, numb with confusion. He was feeling too many things at once, so they all seemed to just cancel themselves out until he was calm.

He laid down on his side, facing the window and Roderich. Roderich, the 'lying, cheating piece of shit' as Gilbert liked to call him, was also laying on his side, staring out the window as he'd been for the past few hours.

He sat up, swung his legs off the side of the bed and stood, in the clothes he was wearing that day, shuffling over to the desk. Gilbert remained still, his eyes closed, feigning sleep.

Roderich sat down on the swivel chair, grabbing the nearest pen and the pad of paper with the hotel logo on the corner of it.

He wanted to write down what he felt, but somehow the paper stayed empty.

And he could not have described it any better.

Because that was exactly how he felt.

Roderich stood up again, shuffling back over to his bed, collapsing and facing the window again.

And then Gilbert stood up, slowly and carefully, being as silent as he could so he could sort of sneak out.

He had just made it to the door when a soft, empty and broken voice spoke up.

"Where are you going...?"

"Why do you care?" Gilbert demanded.

"I found you lying in an alleyway six blocks away from the hotel. I would like to know if you're going to do that again so I can come get you when we're about to leave or something of the sorts."

Gilbert's eyes stung, but he refused the tears. "I'm going to talk to old Fritz."

Roderich was silent for a moment.

"Im sorry." He whispered. "I truly am."

"Yeah, well I don't care. Sorry won't fix this." Gilbert snapped, marching out the door and closing it loudly.

Roderich sat up again, tears running down his face. The only person he was angry at was himself.

Gilbert knocked on old Fritz's door, met with silence for a while before a soft shuffling sound. Then the door creaked open slowly, old Fritz standing in the doorway with bunny slippers and pyjamas on. "What would you like, my boy?" He asked, dark circles under his eyes.

Gilbert couldn't stop the tears. Seeing them, old Fritz opened the door completely, coming forward and pulling Gilbert into a hug.

"Come on inside. Tell me everything." Fritz whispered.