Chapter 8

"Roderich! Roderich, are you okay?!" Elizaveta practically jumped on him as soon as he opened the door.

Roderich was speechless, his heart beating so hard he was afraid he was having a heart attack.

"Please tell me you're alright, Gilbert told me everything, have you told the authorities about those witches?"

"Y-Yes, we told the authorities."

"Thank goodness, now Roderich, onto you, are you okay? Did they hurt you?" Elizaveta looked almost on the verge of tears.

"No, no I'm fine, Elizaveta, why don't you sit down?" He motioned towards his bed.

"A-alright..." They both sat down, Roderich with a look of concern upon his face.

"How long has it been?" Elizaveta asked, and Roderich quickly checked his watch.

"It's only four, so... About forty-five minutes?"

"Oh god Roderich, I... I feel so terrible... That much have been horrible..." Yep, she was crying, actual tears actually running down her face.

And then he got a strange impulse he'd never had before.

He wanted to kiss Elizaveta. He wanted to lean in and press his lips to hers, wipe away her tears and make everything all better.

And so, he smiled slightly, holding her face in his hands and wiping away her tears before leaning down and softly pressed his lips to hers. His heart was practically dancing, his stomach as if it had been filled with helium.

And then there was Gilbert.

Standing in the doorway, eyes wide, mouth open.

He gasped painfully, clutching at his chest because of the horrible stabbing pain that was there.

Gilbert wanted to scream. He wanted to tell Roderich how much he loved him, how he'd never loved anyone quite as much as he'd loved the small Austrian pianist. Because all he'd wanted from the moment he'd seen Roderich the first time, looking at him with his beautiful purple eyes, was to hold him, to be with him, to never let him go. But he could not form words. He could barely breath.

He felt emotional, and he hated that. He hated the fact that Roderich could make him feel things.

So then he turned.

and he ran.

And Elizaveta and Roderich did not know he was even there in the first place.

No matter how many people he fell in love with, they all turned out to be straight. They all found girls. They always started dating them. And they always lived happily ever after, leaving Gilbert alone. Again.

He just wanted someone to love.

And Before he knew what he was doing, he was back at the little tree fort in the woods, half of the ladder broken and on the ground. He had to jump to grab onto the closest foothold, but he still made it up, ignoring the chairs and just kind of collapsing on the wooden floor.

That was when the feeling of emptiness set in, he just kind of laid there on the cold wooden floor, snow falling outside the treehouse. And he stayed there for what felt like an eternity.

The sun set and the moon shone brightly, but Gilbert didn't notice.

Then he began thinking about his life in general, just kind of laying there, having no motivation whatsoever to even get up and sit in a lawn chair.