Chapter 41

Roderich smiled to himself as he packed his bags, Gilbert singing softly along to the radio as he worked.

"I got that sunshine in my pocket, got that good song in my feet, got that hot blood in my body when it drops... I can't take my eyes up off it, moving so phenomenally, I know you'll like the way we rock it, so don't stop." He neatly folded all of his clothes, loading them orderly into one of his suitcases. "And under the lights, when everything goes, no where to hide when I'm getting you close... When we move, well you already know... So just imagine..." He started to fold his shirts. "Nothing I can see but you when you dance, dance, dance, feeling good, good creeping up on you, so just dance, dance, dance, come on. All those things I should do to you, but you dance, dance, dance, and ain't no body leaving soon, so keep dancing." He closed the suitcase, zipping it up and starting to pack his other belongings (toiletries, gilbirds cage, etc.). Gilbird sat on the window sill. "I can't stop the feeling, so just dance, dance, dance. I can't stop the feeling, so just dance, dance, dance, come on."

Roderich smiled, shoving his clothes into his bag. "Do you like that song?"

Gilbert smiled slightly. "No, I don't. I hate it. It's always stuck in my head and won't stop playing on the radio. It's too catchy, it makes me angry."

Roderich chuckled slightly. "We can change the station if you want."

"No, no it's fine." Gilbert assured. "You can leave it if you want. It's almost over, anyway."

Roderich finished shoving his clothes into the suitcase, and proceeded to stuff in all of the other things he'd need, such as books, his flute, his violin, his toothbrush, etc. "Gilbert... What was your childhood like? I know you've told me that your father had a not-so-well paying job, and you and Ludwig had to take jobs too, but... What was it like? Explain in more detail."

Gilbert paused for a moment. "Well, I..." He bit his lip, thinking. "...I... Before my parents divorced, my mother worked in a town a little down the road, and didn't come home very often at all. And sometimes, my dad would take far-away jobs that no one else would take that paid good. He'd leave me and luddy some money and food that would usually tide us over." He paused, and Roderich stopped packing.

"Usually?"

"Well, sometimes he wouldn't come home when he was suppose to, probably drinking or something with his friends, or staying at his girlfriends house. He was cheating on my mom, after all. And we'd run out of money and food. And we'd go without food for a couple days. I thought of stealing multiple times a day, but I'm not that mean bro, I ain't gonna steal some guys money or food, he might need it more than us. Some days, we actually had to dumpster dive to survive."

Roderichs heart broke silently.

"But once he came back, all was cool. He had money, so he could buy us food and stuff. But then he'd go away again. And we'd go hungry again. Sometimes I had to fight luddy for meals. I still went to school, I still played with the other kids. I met Elizaveta in preschool. We lived in a small apartment, with one bathroom and one bedroom and a kitchen about half the size of our dorm room here." He zipped up his suitcase, picking up Gilbird from the window sill and sitting him on his shoulder, sitting down on his bed, which was neatly made.

He continued;

"My mother, oh how she was rich compared to us. She was trafficking drugs and already had a good job, and slept in her office instead of at home, almost never coming to see any of us. She ate cheap food, and tend to use her works bathroom, and dressed fancy in tuxedos and gold. She turned a blind eye to how me and luddy were malnourished and dying, and continued to spend money on herself. And my dad didn't like that. And they had a fight. An actual fight- my dad ended up with a broken leg, so he couldn't work any good jobs for a while. My mom? She got a few bruises, and called the police, playing the victim. They had a divorce, and she won custody of luddy, moving away. Then she died of a drug overdose, and dad inherited all the money, selling all her belongings and using all the money to send me and luddy to boarding school. Well, he paid for me to go to boarding school. Luddy got a scholarship. You know, he's actually a year younger than me, he just studied enough to be able to skip a grade."