Chapter Two (Revised)

"No! Please no!" I scream bolting up out of bed. Loud footsteps run up the stairs; a figure bursting into my room. The only person I was familiar with sat in my bed pulling my head in to comfort me. Colin rubbed my tangled, sleep-ridded hair. Years ago he had taken me in after Levi and his friends ditched me. Colin tried his hardest to be there for me. He knew I wanted nothing more than to be reunited with my family.

"(Y/n)! Are you okay?" Colin always had the most calming voice. Tears stung my eyes as my mind flashed through the events of the nightmare. I had already lived it once, why do I have to relive it in my dreams? I coughed and sniffed pulling away. A large wet patch stained his tan shirt. I whipped my eyes. I opened my mouth to speak.

"It was the nightmare about my kidnapping; the meeting with Levi, Farlan, and Isabel."

"You are still having nightmares about them?" He asked in disbelief. "It's been years."

A particularly loud sob fell from my lips. I hiccupped trying to suck in as much air as possible. "Colin, they abandoned me in that hell hole! I have no idea where the fuck they went! I was hopeless down there!" I cried. I was livid. Why did they leave me down there alone? Was I just a decoy for them? Yanking myself out of my thoughts I look to Colin. I push away from him.

Today was the day that I would enlist in the military. It was important. I start in my closet pulling some basic clothes. I glance at myself in the mirror. My face was bright red, dark under-eye bags and clear tear tracks tracing down my cheeks. My hair was sticking up all over. Long story short, I looked like a total train wreck.

"I'm sure there's a good reason. From my understanding they were criminals, correct?" Colin questioned. He remained still on my bed. I shrugged, no longer in the mood to have that conversation. Thankfully Colin got the hint and hoisted himself off my fluffy bed.

"Get dressed, I'll go make some breakfast. Then you must head out for registration." Colin said, leaving my room. Nearly eight months ago Colin found me almost dead. According to him I was frail and pale skinned. He brought me to his house located in Shiganshina district. I am forever grateful for his kindness, he could've left me alone to die. I pulled a maroon skirt on, and a white button up shirt. I tucked the extra cloth in my skirt. I pulled my silky, (h/c) hair back into a braid. I tucked some loose fly-away hair behind my hair. I looked at myself in the mirror. A fourteen-year-old going into the military was certainly outlandish. I had been working non-stop since I got out of that dreadful place. I walked down to the main level closing the door behind me.

I noticed that Colin had set out eggs for breakfast. I took a seat at the chair across him quietly thanking him. I took the fork in my right hand and stabbed the fork into an egg. I chewed the egg silently. It was very awkward between the two of us. There's no reason for it though.

"Is it good? You are really silent." Colin piped in setting his fork down. I nodded my head, swallowing.

"I don't have much to say." I shrugged. I took a bit of the breakfast Colin has so kindly made for me. Colin sat down with his plate full. He took a few bites before letting out a sigh.

"You know you don't have to go into the military. There's other ways to find your father." Colin suddenly got serious. It was uncharacteristic for him t do so. He was usually a happy-go-lucky type of guy. "It'll be safer. What if your plan goes south?" He continued. That pissed me off. I smacked my hands onto the table and rapidly stood up. The chair flew back the legs scrapping across the wood floor. The force of the back of my knees causing the chair to teeter over.

"Shut up!" I growl. "I'll make damn sure that it won't go south. I'll work harder if my rank starts falling. Colin, I thought you supported me."

Irritation bubbled deep within me. The topic of my family has always been a touchy subject. I was much too stubborn to listen to others ideas. How naïve that made me sound!

"I'm sorry, (Y/n). I should've known you wouldn't have listened." Colin apologized, guilt tripping me. Colin didn't really sound like he was sorry. I stood up from my chair, not finishing my food. I let out a huff in distress.

"I'm headed out. I'll see you later." I grumbled to Colin, slamming the door shut. I stormed down the stairs, aimlessly walking down the street. I had one goal in mind, I needed to find a place to register for the Trainee Corp. This would open the door for me. It would present the opportunity for me to finally see my parents. This whole joining the military is just to benefit myself. I'm not dedicating my heart to humanity. That's just bullshit to give people status.

I turned a corner, and then another. Burning off steam as I walk I finally found a spot where there was a crowd of people. I pushed through the crowd of people, finding myself a small line. I get in line, waiting patiently. When it's finally my turn I sign the papers.

"When do we leave?" I ask the people sitting at the table.

"Soon, we are getting the last few recruits. Follow the rest and you'll be loaded into horse carriages." The man explained. I nodded my head. I had nothing to bring.

 A lovely spring day it was. The streets were booming with excitement, children were playing and people were laughing. The wind gently blew, pushing around the soft, fluffy pollen to pollinate other plants. The wind carried the customary smell of sweet bread. It was absolutely mouth watering. I pulled my hair out of my face brushing it behind my ears. I leaned back basking in the warm sunlight. This was it. This was my time. No longer would I have a peaceful day to myself. It was time for me to become an adult.

A ping of guilt hit me as I thought about the last four years of my life. Was it worth the effort to become a member of the Military Police to finally be reunited with my family? Colin had to be right, there must be other ways. No, I couldn't think like that. This is how it is meant to be, this is where I need to be. I couldn't have regrets now.