59. Her friend!

Naveen's P.O.V

  Oh Lord... What have I gotten myself into? I was restless, her wounded heart and crying face were haunting me..

She was happy with me... I could console her.. make her smile.. And now, I am one of the many reasons that is hurting her now..

Why did I agree to be with them? Or are they telling the truth when they say that she is not safe in that town anymore?

Am I being selfish?

But she didn't speak to me at all today.. Not even a single word.. And it just killed me... She was so happy after that lunch.. she gave me a chance even after knowing her true feelings for Ram, she thought about US.. and then I just screwed up everything.. But she had to be safe..

I was still at the dining chair after Dhruvika left to sleep... In the past few days that I've known her.. I have seen her tears more than her laugh.. she laughed rarely, and I was happy that most of the time it was because of me...

Dadaji and Ram were now talking outside, something important, and I didn't feel like getting involved... They both had this bond.. like they knew well each other and I just felt like an intruder, though they gave me equal importance...

Now I see why they both were so scared of telling everything to Ruvee.. her calmness scared me too... as if the next second she could turn into a giant and throw things at us, or scream loudly till our ears bled... But I have to give her the credit, she handled it pretty well..

But what was worrying me more was Ram's confession to her..In her mind, she believed till now that Ram was pushing her away because he felt that she wasn't brave enough for him, or because she wasn't worth a fight..

  That thought made a void in her heart which I was able to fill in with my presence, but with now Ram's feelings exposed, will she again give us a chance?

But if she does or doesn't, I am a man of word, and if she choose Ram, then I will stand back and give her want she wants, but I will still be there for her as friend.. The good friend that I am now...

Does she love me the way she loves Ram? Or is it a friendly love? Or a brotherly one? She never said those words to me, and also we never had a talk about that... Maybe she really loves him..

And maybe, I'm just meant to be her best friend.. Someone to give her strength to fight for him, fight against every misdeeds happening to her.

Her friend!!

What was surprising is that, I didn't feel disappointed, I did but not so much that I thought I would be.. Maybe I knew it all along.. That she was for him... The way she behaves around him, the way he behaves around her...

But I'm not leaving her.. I'll continue to be that best friend she never had.. And I'm not sad.

"It's not your fault, you know.." I heard a voice behind me and turned to see the nurse, ah Sophie, studying me.

"What is not my fault..?" I asked her back. She is very observant.

"You feeling like this. Like.. shit." She said, her one eyebrow rising at the end.

  I laughed... Did I look like shit??

"It is just that you were late.. Your entry was good, but at the bad timing.  You shouldn't feel sad... she respects you a lot.. She practically jumped at the other two, but not at you.. good sign.. Don't take it the wrong way.." She said, as she took the seat next to me, that I offered.

"She didn't jump at me doesn't mean she doesn't hate me now.. She wouldn't have expected me to join them.." I said, tracing the pattern of the woodwork of the table.