71. Puppy eyes

Everything felt like Dejavu as he lay down on the recliner bed, which was now pushed upwards. He found himself once again connected to the wires, an electronic machine beeping beside in rhythm with his beating heart.

“Just in case,” the doctor had said, “the sedatives are very effective and his organ were just recovering.”

Much to his dismay, he was also connected to a urinary bag, and was completely naked under the sheets, except for the green cloth that covered his manhood.

A cotton mesh covered his forehead, a patch on his cheek. Another across his upper left abdomen, from the cut that had managed to bruise his stomach. A bandage along his right hand and shoulder, where he had been shot, and extended up to his chest. His right hand knuckles had another bloody bandage from the missed punch that had hit the window of a car, breaking its glasses. Plus a hairline fracture in his feet from the multiply kicks it had delivered.

Apart from all that, he was peachy. And oh yes, the constant buzzing in his head and drowsiness that the medicines gave.

It was a wonder to him how adrenaline could push you to fight more and not feel any pain. But once the rush was over, you’ll find yourself in the pits of hell.

No wonder the doctor had the urine bag attached to him.

“Are you ready?” the nurse suddenly asked, nodding towards the door. He silently nodded back already dreading it.

The teary eyed mother and worried father.

Hysteric best friends, one among them pregnant.

Let’s not forget, the unpredictable feisty girlfriend.

The sweet, “Jeeju, my hero” saali.

Their disapproving parents.

Insert terror icon. He chuckled, since when was he a drama queen that feared the girlfriend’s parents? Definitely insert terror icon.

The puppy eyes. Yes, the puppy eyes would work. It will definitely work.

******

The puppy eyes didn’t work.

That was his first reaction when his parents entered the room, and just as he expected, she was teary eyed and he was worried.

He exchanged the puppy eyes with one that showed confidence.

“Maa, I’m alright..” he began to speak, only to be cut out by his mother's tears as she hugged her husband, who have gave his son an assuring nod.

“Karthika stop, you are stressing him.” Hari said as he tried to control his wife. Karthika give him a small nod and began wiping off the tears with the end of her shawl.

“How are you son?” Hari asked as he walked towards his son, and settled beside Karthika who had taken a seat on the stool kept beside the bed.

“Good dad. Little tired, but definitely good. Mom you shouldn’t worry. I might look bad now, but you know it’ll only last for a few days.” He said as he tried to grab his mother's hand, gulping down the pain he felt from his shoulder. He gave her a small squeeze despite the screaming muscles on his right hand.

“I know... I’m just happy to see you.” She confessed. "I had been worried. But leave that, so you know who is waiting for you outside? It’s your –“

Before she could complete that sentence, she was abruptly interrupted by Hari.

“Karthika, what are you doing? He will get to see everyone. You know that.” He told he as he silently scolded his wife. Cherry’s eyes moved from his father to his mother and back as they exchanged words with their eyes. He coughed, bringing them back to him, as he raised their eyebrows at him.