Chapter 29

“Jade!”

“Jade, over here!”

“Jade, what do you think about …”

“Jade, how do you feel about your brother being in a jail for …”

“Jade, are you going to pay your brother …”

“Jade, is it true that your brother was selling illegal substances …”

All these reporters were surrounding me, trying to get even a tiny information from me. I was way smaller than them and their big cameras and microphones, but luckily I had Harry’s security with me.

They pushed them back and safely got me to the car. I’ve never been more thankful in my life for that.

It’s been 3 days since I found out that Karl was in jail. At first, I thought it was just an ugly rumour – but after carefully reading the whole article, I couldn’t lie to myself. It was all too realistic to not be true.

I immediately dialled Katherine and she confirmed me this, leaving me completely clueless and crazy. I had no idea what did he do, who was pressing charges, how could I help him. In that moment, it was all too overwhelming for me.

Ofcourse, papz weren’t leaving me alone. They were camping in front of my house in South Shields and in front of our house in London. I hated them, I hated that I was in the public eye so much, I hated that nothing in my life was able to stay private, I hated their horrible texts in magazines, I hated everything.

These last days I wasn’t going out at all, but I was constantly in touch with my mum and Karl’s lawyer, whom I hired. I wouldn’t even go out now if it wasn’t for Karl. He has been allowed to receive visits.

As I was driving to the jail where Karl was at, I was thinking what to do when I see him. Being a worried sister, I just wanted to hug him tight and never let him go. But being a reasonable person with a brain and moral, I had to ask him.

There were tons of stories about him in magazines, but even though I read every each of them – I haven’t fully believed in any of them. I was waiting for Karl to tell me the truth. I was preparing myself to confront him when I see him.

Somebody, a man in the uniform asked me to follow him in order to see my brother. My heart was beating so fast, my palms were sweaty. I just wanted to tell him that he’s an idiot, but in the same time to make sure he’s okay.

Male guard opened the door for me and I went straight forward only to see the most horrible thing in my life. My brother was behind the bars.

His face was pale and his eyes were swollen. He looked defeated. Ashamed. Worthless.

My worst nightmare was now a reality.

My legs were so weak, but I managed to keep walking, even though I desperately wanted to be on my knees and just feel the ground under me, since these past days I couldn’t feel it anymore.

“Karl, what the hell happened?!” I asked, breathlessly. We were now alone, guard has left us when I asked for some privacy. Pretty ironic, I know.

“Jade, I … help me, Jade!” my brother was desperately asking for my help and it was breaking my heart.

“I will, I just need you to be honest with me. Tell me everything, so I can know how to help you. Please, tell me the truth.” I begged.

“Jade, they tricked me! I swear I had no idea about the whole thing! They stole every pound, but I wasn’t included in it!”

I believed him. I knew Karl so well that I knew, by the look at his eyes, whether he was lying or not. I came closer, breaking the distance between us and grabbed his hand. His fingers desperately clenched around mine.