Chapter 16: What A Surprise

"Come on, hun, wake up! We're here!" The h/c -haired woman exclaimed, watching the sights pass by in their car window after a 55-minute drive. 

The little girl in the backseat rubbed her weary eyes with the heels of her hands. "But I'm still sleepy..."

"Oh, buttercup. You don't wanna miss the sightings of Gravity Falls, Oregon!" The driver of the vehicle encouraged. "We can go camping by the woods, interact with the people and buy presents for your friends!"

"Oooh, can I buy a pig, dad? Me and Kelly always wanted a pig! We wanna name it W-"

"Of course, darling, you can buy anything. Speaking of presents, Harold, there's a gift shop over there. We should make a stop first, I don't think I could hold on any longer." The woman expressed, referring to the bump on her stomach... or maybe her bladder.

Harold nodded and turned right, parking right outside the nice-looking shack. He turned the vehicle off and went around, opening the door for his wife. The little girl had opened her own door and followed the two adults on their way to the gift shop. 

When they opened the door, a man in his 60s (but still rocks a suit with shoulder pads) greeted them with a wide smile on his face. "Hello, cash- I mean, customers! Welcome to Gravity Falls' center of attraction; The Mystery Shack! Can I interest you in some keychains, snow globes? These rare photos of American presidents?

"Uhm, yeah, thank you for the offer- but my really pregnant wife needs to go to the restroom. Where is it?"

The smile was wiped off his face and he grumbled. "Right this way."

The little girl watched the three turn into a corner, the old man leaving himself out as he let her parents go their own way. She only stood there, seeing the same fez guy walking towards her. 

"Hey, kid. Y'wanna buy something until your parents get back?"

"Can I have a pig please?"

The grey-haired man sighed, walking away from her, clearly annoyed that these customers weren't there to buy his merchandises. The girl only watched him, shrugged, and began to wander aimlessly around the shop. She saw other people looking with wonder at the creatures displayed. She was amazed with the different products and thought what to buy for her neighborhood friends. She noticed a slightly chubby man (although he looks like a gopher) in a grey hat standing by the cash register looking all silly, yet welcoming.

"Hello," she said, taking small steps to the counter. 

"Hi, little girl. I'm Soos. Do you want to buy a t-shirt? Or a candy? I promise you, if you press C-5 in that vending machine, you'd get to taste this amazingly-amazing-"

"You talk too much. Can I buy a pig?" She asked with wonder in her eyes. 

"Uh- sorry, but we don't sell pigs here. You can wait for the town's fair if you want. I can take you there someday."

"No, I don't live here..." She shook her hair, her pigtails following. "I could ask my parents-"

"Oh my God, get out of the way! My wife is giving birth!"

The both of them turned to the man carrying the woman off her feet and running towards the door. The people around them were slightly panicking and huddled by the door, trying to help the couple as they made their way to the car. 

The little girl struggled to pass by the horde of strangers but it was difficult when they are blocking the exit, trying to look outside. She didn't know the residents of this town were quite intrusive. "Let me through!" She tried to plead, but the people were stubborn. "Mom! Dad!" Her screams blended with the gossips and opinions.