Chapter 6 - Reminder From A Dark Past

What is this???  Finally a new chapter???? WAAAAAHHHH?! Yes!! There is about a week left of school for me so chapters will be coming out more frequently in July :D I hope you enjoy this chapter, although it's a bit of a sad one. You'll be learning more about Payton's past and all that.

Anyways, I'll see you next time when summer break has started!

(Picture is of Adam) Dammit why do all hot guys have to be bad?!!!!!

 Song - Grace Vanderwaal, Moonlight        

  ~Jessica

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
― Søren Kierkegaard

--------------------------------

As I was busy chopping up the vegetables for the soup, Hunter was looking for a pot to use.

I had called Jordan and told him that I was alright, he seemed to be a bit confused as to what happened in the restaurant but didn't push me into telling him.

"Do you want to talk about it now?" Hunter asked. I stopped chopping and just stared at the carrots.

"What is there to talk about?" I asked. The carrots in front of me were starting to slowly blur as I tried to keep the tears in my eyes from falling out.

"Who was that man who hit you?"

I took a deep breath and continued chopping. "Adam, he was my ex-boyfriend."

Hunter filled the pot with water and placed it onto the stove then walked over to the other side of the counter facing me. "Ex or not, you don't just hit someone."

I sighed. "Well, he does," I replied. "It's the way he is, he doesn't understand what is right or wrong, he just acts upon his mood and mind."

"How long were you with him for?'

"4 years." I know that I should have left earlier and many who were in my position would, but honestly, sometimes it just doesn't work that way. I fully put the blame on myself for not leaving sooner. Adam wasn't always like that. When we started dating, I was only 15. That year was one of the best years of my entire life and I still don't regret it. If you always look on the negative side, you'll never be able to see the good in anything. But, everything changed when my parents died. At first, he would comfort me and find ways to try and make me forget about it for a while, but when I couldn't get past it, he started to become more and more frustrated.

I could see Hunter's hands ball up into fists and his jaw clenching. In a more serious tone he replied. "Did he abuse you for all those years that you were with him as well?"

I froze.

All the memories came rushing back. Him burning me, hitting me, kicking me and so much more. I tried to forget about it but it was burned into my brain. These memories I had were always there, but overtime, I forgot about them by doing other things. But memories never leave you. Although you might have forgotten about them for a while, they will come back when something triggers it.

Just like a bullet.

The bullet will always be in the gun, but without something touching the trigger it will never come out. But once the trigger is touched, the bullet will come shooting out, whether you were prepared for it or not.

I quickly buried those thoughts back into my head.

"No, at least not for the first year."

"What happened after that first year?" He asked a bit softer.