Chapter 37 - (Un)Happy Birthday

Hello everyone! Welcome back to another chapter! I'm sorry for the delay in this one, I was pretty busy for the past week or so, but I finally was able to sit down and finish this chapter :)

I'm going to be away next week on a trip, so if there is no upload again, I apologize in advance. I'll try to write a new chapter to pre-upload but I can't promise anything.

Anyways, thank you guys so much for the support on this story, I'm so grateful for how positive all of you have been <3

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this one, and I'll se you guys at the end of the chapter.

Song- Julia Michaels, Issues

~Jessica

"I had a whole evening planned. I was hoping to sweep you off your feet. Like those guys in your stupid books."

― Lisa Brown Roberts, How (Not) to Fall in Love

************************************************

"Hey... Why didn't you wake me up?"

I glanced up from the email I was reading. "You seemed like you needed some rest so I decided to give you some. Besides, you don't have any more meetings today so there's room for a break."

Hunter smiled lazily and rested his back against the doorframe. It was times like those when I really took in how tall he was compared to me. Even from afar, he was still huge and furniture beside him looked somewhat smaller.

Being on the shorter side had always made me feel a bit insecure.

When walking in crowds, I felt like I was being swallowed up by others around me.

When alone, I felt like an easy target for someone to easily come and attack.

Despite it all, I still liked being small; I had inherited it from my mother, and so I felt like I had a part of her with me everywhere I went.

"So," Hunter cleared his throat, walking over to sit on the edge of my table. "You got any plans this Friday?"

"As a matter of fact, I do," I answered. "I have a hot date," I said with a smirk.

He looked at me, unamused. "Haha, very funny Payton. But you know that no one is hotter than me."

I stuck my tongue out at him. "Stop being so narssasistic, it looks bad on you."

He flipped his non existent long hair, "Nothing looks bad on me, honey."

"Even that scratch on your face?" I asked, raising a brow. "Maybe you want another one then."

Hunter's eyes widened and he quickly backed away a bit. "Okay, maybe not everything."

I laughed.

Warily, Hunter moved closer again, "So, do you really have plans this Friday?"

I remembered the message I had seen on his phone, and squinted my eyes at him. I wasn't accusing him of anything just yet, but I just wanted to know more about who the person who texted him was. Maybe it was nothing. I knew Hunter well enough to know that he wouldn't do anything like that; but I was still a bit suspicious.

"I don't know," I crossed my arms. "Do you have any plans?"

He paused for a split second. "N-no, nothing, nada, zilch." He came over and slithered an arm around my shoulders. "I was hoping that I'd spend it with you." He leaned over and brushed his lips against my forehead. "That is, if you're free."